THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Should I go for the 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 Leica Geovid?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I go for the 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 Leica Geovid?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I considering a Geovid BRF, but I’m not sure if I should go for the 8x 42 or the 10 x 42. Are the 8’s significantly cleared, with noticeable better low light capabilities? Is it really that much of a issue to hold the 10’s steady?

I would appreciate from those who have experience with either one of these binos – and if you have experience with both, please advise.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use 8x30 Ultravids and trinovids for general hunting (8x can be used for quick glances with one hand.
But when hunting open country like in the Alps I use 10x40. The 10x are great for long distance and can be used free hand for short periods.
For periods of extended glasing any bino's are best rested on knees or Pack ect.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi Riaan,

Have a look at the Swarovski EL 8,5x42! They are absolutely awesome! I have compared them against some Ultravids and they give You a sharper and more brilliant image!

I know, they don´t have a Rangefinder inside, but I would prefer the best and most brilliant picture a bino could give You and for this I would take the extra weight of an external RF as well...

AND brandnew news: there is a new EL coming up in September:
unfortunally just in German, but look http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/swarovski-zieloptik/swa...x42-swarovision.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have the 10x42's and they are not a problem to hold steady. Excellent optics.

Last year I had a chance to compare the 10x42 Geovid's to a pair of 15x56 Swarovski's for several hours in a hunting situation. Of course the 10x42's were lighter. The Swarovski's were a little brighter. However, both of us preferred the Geovid's because they seem to have a better "depth of field" and less of a flat image.

The weight at 32 oz is not prohibitive. Get a harness

and you will never notice it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've made up my mind regarding the Geovid, I'm just not sure yet which magnification to get. I'm not interested in any other brand or models.

Woods, have you had a opportunity to compare the 8x and 10 x side by side and under field conditions? Thanks for posting the harness/cover combo - that looks like a practical accessory.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I had been a long time 8x user, but decided go 10x with the geovids, the added weight makes them just as steady as any standard 8x bino, also the extra power makes judging racks and animals much easier.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Geovids. I prefer the 8x42.

Many times while stalking I have my rifle in one hand and I use my binos with only one hand.

I can hold the 8x steadier than the 10x.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riaan:

Woods, have you had a opportunity to compare the 8x and 10 x side by side and under field conditions? Thanks for posting the harness/cover combo - that looks like a practical accessory.

No, I have not. I am going from using a 12x50 pair of binoculars for years. I like the added twilight factor with the 12 power and before anyone flames me, let me say that I have never had any problem holding them steady. The 10 powers are a piece of cake. The field of view on a pair of binoculars is so large that finding game is not a problem like in a scope.

I thought about the 15x56 Geovids but the weight goes up to 45 oz. The weight is the same for the 8x42's or the 10x42's so that was a no brainer for me.

Once you use a harness you will like them. I have driven all the way home from hunting and forgotten I had the binoculars still on until it came time to undress.

Once you get the Geovids you will stop looking at or wanting something better cause you will realize you have the very best.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
You won't be wrong with 10X42, I have a pair that makes hunting much more enjoyable.
Try to weare a harness that holds them real close to your body, so weight is not an issue.
I try to avoid any system that can make them bounce around.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I definitely prefer 10x over 8x for binocs. I don't have a problem holding them steady, and they give you a little better detail. They've not been a problem for me even when hunting in heavy timber.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have seen on Tuesday the new Swarovski EL 8,5x42 and 10x42 Swarovision http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/swarovski-zieloptik/swa...x42-swarovision.html: Awesome! The best picture I have ever seen and at least 1 step far ahead from the old EL, I would say a big step again...

I have ordered mine! Will come in September!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have had both and would base my decision on how many hours you are going to look through the binos at a time. If you are going to look at an animal a few minutes and put them down I would probably be OK with 10 power but if you are going to glass for 2 or 3 hours at a time I would definitely go with the 8 power because you can tell alot of difference in eye strain if you use them for extended periods of time. Just my opinion. I use EL 8.5 X42's and love em. God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I have used the 8x42 version for a number of years for varmint spotting. This is one application where you spend a lot of time looking through glass during 12 hour day.

They are perfect and allow for easier target location in my view. 10X becomes over power in this application.

Best glass on the planet in my view with range finder capability.

clap

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I use the 10X42 Ultravids and love them. I'd rather have 10 power than 8

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote