THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    New Nikon Monarch Product Line: Feedback Requested

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Nikon Monarch Product Line: Feedback Requested
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What has your experience been with the new Monarch design high power varible line of scopes?

Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buli, I recently got two in, a 2.5x10x40 and a 6x24x50. In a nutshell, I think they are slightly better than the previous Monarchs. There is a little better 'less critical' eye relief, although that was never an issue for me with the previous Monarch scopes. The adjustments are very precise and clear, and track properly in my test of the 2.5x10x40 on a known accurate 308.

The bottome line for me would be that I should just ask John at the Optic Zone, he told me they were a great scope and a good value, but the optical clarity wasn't quite there with the Zeiss Conquest, which is my pick if I'm not willing to spend the bucks for a Swaro or Nightforce for a particular rig.

If I was doing it over, the Conquests would get the call.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the SITREP, fish.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that the new Monarchs, which were supposed to compete with the Conquest, have come up short by your analysis. Frowner

I have read others online post similar remarks as yours.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheaptrick, I'm disappointed too, was hoping that they would hit a mid price with great clarity--OK but not past the Conquest.

Regards--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fish,

Good comments. The Nikon is $300 - $400 less than the Zeiss. I belive in buying the very best you can afford. Your input was very helpful.

b

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I took a look through them both at the NRA meeting back in April, and more recently when I was shopping for scopes for a 22. To be quite honest, I wasn't that impressed. They're quite good scopes, but they aren't clearer than my Conquest 3-9, and VX-III's are a better choice still. I wouldn't recommend against them, but they might not be my first choice. No matter how you cut it, they're still a very good scope for the $$.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf, you are certainly welcome.

A quick update, I was doing some shooting at our range (150 yards) at deer camp this evening--decided not to hunt due to full moon and too hot...shooting both a VX III 3x9x50 and the new Monarch 2.5x10x44. The Monarch is definitely better optically, and especially superior in low light--it's brighter and you see more--
But the Conquest is just a notch above still!!

Good shooting--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I took a look through them both at the NRA meeting back in April, and more recently when I was shopping for scopes for a 22. To be quite honest, I wasn't that impressed. They're quite good scopes, but they aren't clearer than my Conquest 3-9, and VX-III's are a better choice still. I wouldn't recommend against them, but they might not be my first choice. No matter how you cut it, they're still a very good scope for the $$.

Just got my 6x24x50 Monarch. Hard pressed to say it isn't as clear as my 3x9 Conquest but then I can say they both are better than than the VXIII 4.5x14x40 i'll be selling soon.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote