THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    kahles KX series... Tell me about them and their service

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kahles KX series... Tell me about them and their service
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
I am looking at buying a KX series but dont know much about kahles service and support. Could you guys let me know about how kahles treats customers?
how do you like the scope vs. a conquest?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean CX, the compact models?

They stand there ground against the Diavaria models fron Zeiss, ie the conquests are far behind.

Service and support are unknown to me, however since the company is represented in the US, they will most likly match all other scopebrands S&S just to be in the game.

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Patriot76,

I have a Kahles KX 3.5-10X50 with their 4D reticle that I am testing. It is mounted in Talley rings and Talley bases on my 6.5-'06 built on a Remington M700 standard action. I don't have enough experience with it to definitvely classify it, but so far it works as you would expect. The glass is as you would expect from Kahles: excellent.

For the basics the scope is a 1" tube, and I used medium rings to mount it (I don't think low rings would work but I did not try them). The length of the tube between the objective and ocular bells is just enough to mount the scope -- no worry here about sliding the scope back and forth, there is only one place it fits. The scope comes with flip-up eye caps which look like they will work in the field.

The 4D reticle is Kahles' interpretation of the range correcting reticle. Kahles gives the absolute spacing at ranges of the hash marks in inches, and a series of decals for various cartridges you can stick on the stock for field reference. There is also a blank decal you can use to develop your own correction table. I will be using this scope on an antelope hunt in September where I hope to try the capabilities of the reticle (I used a Leup. version last year, but made the shot at only 90 yards; so much for field test plans!).

I also own another Kahles scope which is excellent in all ways, so my expectations of the KX are high.

I managed to break my older Kahles scope by dropping it and the rifle on a cement floor. I returned it for repair, and the technician found that the parallax was off. It still shot to point of aim, but with really big groups. It came back fixed in a few weeks. The Kahles and Swarovski repair centers are co-located in Cranston, RI at "SONA": Swarovski Optics North America.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a KX for my .30-06 until I found a used Swarovski, which I bought instead. Just from looking at them during the day in the gunstore and the parking lot, I would expect that they are the equal if not probably beyond the Zeiss Conquests. However, I have not used a KX in real world hunting conditions and have a Conquest, so I can't really make that comparison accurately. But in the store and parking lot they sure did have a beautiful image.

The gun store owner absolutely loves them and thinks they are second best only to Swaro. Of course, he sells both, but uses them too.

They are more expensive than the Conquests but not in the Swarovski price range. I think I would consider them again next time I need a scope. But the Conquest is hard to turn down at their prices.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
According to the Kahles rep I bought a pair of binocs from this year, Saworvski owns Kahles. I would imagine their service would be on par. I would classify the Kahles C scopes as superior to the Zeiss Conquest; hoever, the KX is about the same.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote