New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with the Leupold VXR 2-7x33?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I`m looking around for a new scope on my moose rifle, a Ruger MK II. 338 Winmag.
Hunting take place in combine forest - open hill terrain, and max ranges might be around 250 yds.

It looks like that the Leupold VXR 2-7x33 with the Firedot 4 might be an ok candidate, but does any of you guys any first hand experience with this sight?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this scope with the "circle dot" reticle mounted on an AR15. I think it is a great scope and you really get a lot for the price.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
IMO its one of the handiest scopes around.

But the FOV at 2x up close is nothing to write home about.

So if dangerous game is involved you might look for an European scope or the Leupold 1 - 6 x.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arminius:
... But the FOV at 2x up close is nothing to write home about...

Maybe the range is really only 2.5 to 6.5x, as with the VX-1. Long eye relief also takes its toll on FoV.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scope is ment for daytime hunting moose and red deer, no dangerous game, but bear and wolverine might be game of oportunity if the County Officials set a quota in our area.

As for today I have a Schmidt&Bender Stratos 1,5-6x42 illuminated on the rifle.
The scope is top notch, but heavy.
I would like to lighten the rig a bit, that`s why I`we been thinking about the Leupold

I will look the Leupold over at the gun shop next week before I make up my mind.

I also know I will step down a bit in regard to optical performance, but for daytime hunting, it might not be that critical......

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
If Money is not the problem, the Swaro Z 6 i 1,7 - 10 x 42 is only ~ 500 g. WITH Illumination.

The Zeiss 1,2 - 6 x 32 ( 32 mm bell! ) with the illuminated reticle is heavier!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arminius:
If Money is not the problem, the Swaro Z 6 i 1,7 - 10 x 42 is only ~ 500 g. WITH Illumination.

The Zeiss 1,2 - 6 x 32 ( 32 mm bell! ) with the illuminated reticle is heavier!

Knowing how the Germans have long beefed up the diameter of dural tubes and valued mounting rails as reinforcement, I would not be surprised if there is good reason for the Zeiss being heavier.

Either scope will come with the warm fuzzy of knowing you've paid much more so must be superior, of course Smiler

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 338 Federal and it's my favorite hunting scope. In fact I just sent it in to Leupold to add a CDS turret for it.

I love the illuminated dot.

Here is a picture of it on my Ruger.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm on my 375 Ruger and really happy with it. Unless your dead set on the lighted reticle. The VX3 or VX3i in the 2.5-8x36mm is light and can mount low enough to get a good cheek weld to the stock. Makes for fast to get on target. Have use this scope in heavy dark timber for elk and in open wheat fields for deer.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote