THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Which power Binos to buy? Sako rings for L61r question

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which power Binos to buy? Sako rings for L61r question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Swarovski 10x50 or 12x50? ,both are ELs. Only $100 difference in price. Also might need Sako rings & or peepsight for 375 H&H that I,m looking at. Can these still be found? Thanks for any infro. Randall

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, it depends on how you use them. i use a large pair of binos for scouting out on an ATV. Weight is not an issue, and I want all the clarirty and brightness I can get. But for hunting, I prefer an 8x32 or 8x40 pair to carry in a harness. 12X is pretty hard to hold steady enough without support. I see you're in Montana, so circumstances are different. Spotting can be quite long range out there. If you can glass with support, get what you can carry and handle effectively.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10X is pretty hard to hold steady without a rest for long periods. If you are doing a lot of glassing and need a 12 power, best to get a spotting scope and tripod. Then you can get lots of magnification without eye strain.

Personally, I like 8X for most applications and carry a spotting scope for long distance glassing.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Until recently I would have said even 10x binos were too heavy and hard to hold still for most hunting purposes. However, I have been given some humble Nikon Prostaff 10x42s that are extremely light and seem to work fine. So, I guess if Swaros of that size are just as light they should be excellent.

I think you will find those Sako items on ebay if they are not still made BUT I would be most reluctant to buy the factory peep sight, unless you want it for some strange target purpose. The hole is just too small and is surrounded by an enormous housing that blocks too much country.

I found a great little ghost-ring peep to fit the dovetail of my Finnbear, and it looks much stronger than anything with a cross arm. The brand is AO (I think) and, according to the 2009 Gun Illustrated, they also make models that attach to some mount bases. Mine came with two large-hole apertures of different sizes.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also might need Sako rings & or peepsight for 375 H&H that I,m looking at. Can these still be found?

Yes! Rodger at www.sakosource.com keeps a good stock of older Sako rings and peep sights. You can see many of them here http://www.sakosource.com/scopes.html
I've been buying guns and accessories from Rodger for 40+ years and he treats his customers right.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Roger had me fooled for a moment, Stonecreek, with his pre-Garcia references. What did Garcia do? I wondered, thinking he might have been the man who replaced one inadequate bolt shroud with another inadequate bolt shroud Smiler

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the 10's. IMO, easier to steady. 8's or 10's are the choice if I could only choose one pair!

12's or 15's serve a purpose as well. I have used 15's on a tripod and they work great. However, they'd never replace my 10's.

Posts: 2646 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for infro! Will p/u Sako L61r 375 H&H today. Swarovski 10x50 ELs for Christmas present to selve. Randall

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swarovski 10x50 ELs for Christmas present to selve. Randall

Can't do better than that!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
peep :-)

Posts: 6434 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Roger had me fooled for a moment, Stonecreek, with his pre-Garcia references. What did Garcia do? I wondered, thinking he might have been the man who replaced one inadequate bolt shroud with another inadequate bolt shroud Smiler

Americans tend to separate the pre-1972 Sakos (which features varied a bit from later ones) from those that came after by referencing the American importer -- Firearms International until 1971 and Garcia from 1971-1977. Lots of the early Garcia imports were identical to the late F.I. imports, so the common usage of "pre-Garcia" doesn't always mean what people think it means.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek. Yes, distributors can be important, often because they pick and choose between features on the models they import. Some are more discerning than others.

(Also, thanks to richj, we can all see what a turkey the Sako peep sight really is.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Biebs, 8x32. Mine are Leicas..I traded some 10x40 Liecas for them..I like a binoc I can use off hand during the day, Larger than 8X is hard to hold steady when your looking at horns unless you have a rest of some kind. Ive found I can locate bedded animals better with lesser power and broader field of view..I also like 7X...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs...+1....8x32...light and carry easy.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote