New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Conquest 8x30 Binos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a good set of roof-prism 8x30 binos that are light, have good optical quality, are waterproof (nitrogen filled?) and shockproof as well as ergonomically sound. I own a pair of EDF 7x40 that are nice, but at 1,000 Grams, a little too heavy. As a reference, they should not cost over 1,000.00 USD, and of course, less if possible...

I have seen these Zeiss binos offered for around 500.00 USD or less over the internet, which seems to be a good price for Zeiss binos. However, I also read a couple of reviews that state that these binos have less optical quality than the Zeiss Classics. Although everybody raves about the Classics, I do not think that they are waterproof...

Any suggestions?

Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when making optical glass the throw away percentage is very high. As you work your way up in the quality of the glass, the lesser quality glass is set aside to make cheaper products. Hence the conquest line. This is made from glass that doesn't make it to the final cuts, hence the product is cheaper. This combined with the coatings both number of and quality thereof allow the manufacturer to produce a higher or lesser product. When it comes to bino's I really like swaro EL's. Some guys like the top grade of leica or zeiss better. I prefer swaro's warranty and the glasses fit my eyes well. Look through all of them in making an expensive decision. You can go to someplace like cabellas and peer through all sorts. I find looking at the mud joints in a brick wall tells lots.

Posts: 13444 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spend the extra cash and go with swarovski's 8x30s

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I researched an 8x30 binocular for wayyy too long, (just ask my wife). I finally bought a pair of Zeiss Diafun in 8x30. They are extremly light. I really like how they feel and they are easy to look thru for extended periods.

On a recent shed hunting trip we put them up against a pair of Swarovski SLCs (10x42), and pair of Zeiss Victory (10x42), Zeiss Clasics (8x30). All my friends thought they looked like toys, but after the analysis of our uneducated eyes all agreed there was no difference in light gathering and everyone liked the wieght and feel. Now the guywith the Swarovskis is thinking of the DiaFun.

I wish Zeiss wouldn't have called them DiaFun, but they are a great bino with all the Zeiss warranties. That is my opinion. Cost new about $350, but EBay has them for around $250 sometimes.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
IMHO i don't think these binos are better then a pair of Pentax Sp's. If you want to keep it under 1000 and want the best 8x30-32 out there then look at a Nikon Premier 8x32 L-XL. you can get a fabulous price at www.cameralandny.com

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for your answers:

MC: How did you compare the binos you mention, and what differences, if any, did you perceive?

SempreElk: Do you mean that 729 is the price they quote for the Nikons?

Antonio

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many great roof prism binoculars out there that will not choke you on price and you can also get a higher grade binocular cheaper by getting a Factory demo. Zeiss's demos have a Zeiss transferable lifetime warranty, Leica has a "Leica Certified Pre-Owned" program that has a 10 year warranty. Here is a sample of Zeiss demos
10x25 Victory - Product #522032 @ $389.99
8x20 Classic - Product #522033 @ $239.99
10x32 FL - Product #523223 @ $1139.99
10x30 Conquest - Product #523210 @ $479.99
8x32 FL - Product #523220 @ $1099.99
8x40 Vic. One - Product #524030 @ $799.99
10x40 Vic. One - Product #524035 @ $899.99
10x42 FL - Product #524522 @ $1249.99

Leica Certified Pre-Owned
Leica Ultravid 8x32 BR @ $1149.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
Leica Ultravid 8x42 BR @ $1299.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
Leica Ultravid 10x42 BR @ $1299.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN @ $849.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
Leica Trinovid 10x32 BN @ $899.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
Leica Trinovid 8x42 BN @ $949.99 with 10 Year Leica Warranty
LRF 900 Scan @ $349.99 with 90 day Leica Warranty
LRF 1200 Scan @ $449.99 with 90 day Leica Warranty

Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions for you.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3647 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
SempreElk: Do you mean that 729 is the price they quote for the Nikons?

PM sent

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antonio- We compared them in a recent campout where 5 friends got together to go look for shed antlers (imagine 5 guys 30-55 camping out to look for shed anlters and No one was drinking when the "study" took place). Of course when ever there is a new product in camp everyone is all over it. Trust me these guys were looking for something wrong with my new Zeiss. I lost an $1,100 pair of Zeiss and didn't have the cash to buy a comperable pair.

Anyway, everyone felt the wieght, with their binos. OF course the SLC and Victory are different, but they are 2x heavier. The exit pupil is about .4 different and we looked thru all the binos starting about dusk until about and hour after dark. The sky was ovecast, but there wasn't any decernable difference in Diafun between the others in brighness. My friend did pull out his 15x56 SLCs and of course they blew the rest away for brightness. The edges of the field of view is crisp, they are bright, they are light, they are cheap enough, they had the Zeiss Warranty, and they are waterproof. Everyone was impressed by the DiaFun (I still hate that name).

Take that for what it is worth. The only thing I don't like about the diafun is how the strap hooks to the bino. But the binos are not heavy enough to warrant much worry about it.

That is all I know. I don't have a "horse in this race", but I hated looking for a new bino. Get this, get that, and now I probably muddied the water even more for you. Best of Luck.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC

Thanks very much. Good that you had fun testing them. In the end, the "test by hunting" is the real one...

Also, thanks for your suggestion. I like to hear other hunter´s opinion on binos, because there is always something new to be learned from them.