THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good inexpensive scope for a varmit rifle..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What scope would you recommend for a varmit rifle.
IT WILL BE FOR A LEFT-HANDED SAVAGE 12FLV.

INEXPENSIVE.

THANKS,
qsl

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caliber? Price range?

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Rifleman and VX-1 are good scopes at very reasonable prices. While I like the (pricey) VX-3 best I have each of the others and have been pleased.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caliber: 223

I've got a couple of Rifleman's but their 3x9's.

Loooking for something CHEAP in the 6to 24 range.

Again, are there any really CHEAP for light recoiling calibers.

QSL

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want cheap? Here ya go:

http://swfa.com/BSA-Majestic-Riflescopes-C1729.aspx

Just remember, ya get what ya pay for.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience, that if you try to buy cheap optics, you have to be *even* more careful what you choose. Otherwise "cheap" can very quickly turn into "erroneous purchase sitting on shelf".

On the other hand, it is easy to understand that budgetary constraints have to be observed. Hard to make a suggestion, though, as long as we don't know what "cheap" means to you??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I am not a rich man, therefore I can only afford to buy top quality equipment, especially when it comes to scopes. My suggestion is to search the classifieds, ebay and pawn shops for a good used scope. I have a number of good scopes that I picked up used for about half of what they cost retail.

Another suggestion is to get a fixed power scope. There are huge benefits to buying fixed power scopes. For example, your not paying for additional mechanicals and lenses, so the cost stays lower. Also, the demand is lower because everyone thinks they need to 'zoom' in and out on things, and normally that's just not the case. They are also clearer and more dependable than variable scopes because of having less lenses for light to pass through, and fewer mechanical parts to break.

So buying a fixed power scope will allow you to get a very good scope with good glass for a lot less money than you would spend for the same scope with variable power. Then add in the used factor and you can save a lot of money and still have something. Buy a cheap scope and you'll have a hard time giving it away when you decide to upgrade.

Another thing to keep in mind, with good glass you can see the targets better on at lower magnafication than you can through crappy optics on a higher magnification setting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Busnell Banner scopes are usually a good value for a target rifle.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the pentax pioneer series,or the vortex line, or for really cheap mueller

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you insist on a magnification range that high you are almost certainly going to be disappointed in any cheap scope. The compromised optics of cheaply made high-power variables is exaggerated by the high magnification. Such a scope will be impossible to focus, will be subject to having the zero move as the power cam moves, and will also be subject to leakage at the power ring and objective.

You would be much better off with a little higher quality scope that tops out at 12X, which will give you better optical resolution than a cheap scope at 18X or 24X.

From reports I've had, the new Redfield 4-12X (being produce by Leupold) has very acceptable optics, click adjustments, and is available with a range compensating reticle which is useful on a varmint rifle. I think you would find it much more effective than any bargain-priced Asian-made scope of higher power.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to me a good varmit scope has to have good click adjustable repeatable windage and alevation dials. This rules out rifleman and vx1 leupolds and the repeatablitiy rules out most cheap scopes. About the cheapest id look at would be a 3200 bushnell or a nikon buckmaster.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the price point I think you are suggesting, I would recommend the Tasco Target/Varmint scopes. I've got a couple of them on .22LRs and have been very pleased for the price.

http://swfa.com/Tasco-Target-V...iflescopes-C204.aspx

I also have a Simmons Whitetail Classic on my .22 Hornet. On sale, they are a good deal. Little dark above 16x but at a sale price they are not bad at all.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=746570

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Mueller and Swift.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 05 March 2011 01:03 Hide Post
Check out Mueller and Swift.

I'll 2nd that. I have two Swifts, and love them. They didn't break the bank, and do what they are supppost to. I think they have very good glass for a cheap scope, and so far tracking is on the money.

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Simmons Whitetail Classic. I wanted a cheap scope for 22-250 a few years back, figuring to replace it fairly soon with something better. It's still there, and two more have since joined the stable, one on a CZ452 .22LR, and another on another 22-250. So far, nothing to complain about. The only drawback is they are heavy. I think Midway has the 6 to 20 model on special this month for about $125.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pretty good buy on a very decent scope...kinda comparable to a Weaver Grand Slam...having same internals and optics.

http://www.natchezss.com/produ...583&prodTitle=Nitrex TR One 6-20X50mm Rifle Scope AO Matte Finish Ballistic-X Reticle

After rebate and the $15 or so shipping, would be around $185. This scope sold for around $400 at one time. But now it is a Nitrex by Weaver discontinued model. Because Nitrex and Weaver owned by same company, its life time warranty will be handled by Weaver.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Pentax's low end scopes are pretty decent for the money, but for the magnification you want, I think a $230 Nikon Buckmaster may be the cheapest scope that will make you happy

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/8311035151

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought "cheap" scopes. Yea right I saved a lot of money. I'll tell you about one such which was A Bushnell. Got to range got it sighted in then gave problems. Ammo and trip to range wasted expense. Remove scope drive to post office and pay postage to send back. Pay $15 to Bushnell and receive scope, not fixed--I learned after another wasted trip to range. Repeat process. Get scope back a second time, sight in and a couple months later the variable is locked up tight. What a savings. I bought a high priced Leupold for my air rifle. When this scope was selling new for $307 I closely watched them on EBAY and not a one sold under $275 and some $290. At $275 that is within $32 of the new price. Many of those selling at $275 were several years old and bought for less than $275. $32 to me is a cheap price for a scope--you get what you pay for. That "cheap" Bushnell cost me a lot more than $32.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you consider "cheap" but the Weaver Classic V would be my choice for an inexpensive target scope.

They make a 6-24X42 but I personally would opt for the 4-16X42 model.

They have decent glass, solid adjustments and a warranty as good as anyone on the market. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon so you'll know "lifetime warranty" means a lifetime.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Weaver Grand Slam Series are very nice scopes for the bucks and it seems the money was spent wisely on the optics and mechanisms inside. The 6-20 is a stand out in my opinion, excellent clarity & tracking, I especially like the Varminter reticle on this one. You can usually pick one up pretty reasonably. In fact if you're interested, I have a NIB 6-20 Grand Slam w/ Varminter recticle I may be selling.

BRKHornet

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally haven't seen anything cheaper than a Leupold VX1 that was worth owning.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Weavers.

I don't know about the newer ones but the older ones from the mid-late 90's had good Japan glass in them. They actually had good clarity on higher settings and trackability. The T-series are great scopes and used ones show up in the classifieds for decent money. Probably some of the most underrated and overlooked scopes, MHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Cheap Scope, thats an Oxymoron. How about best quality scope for under ? dollars.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can have inexpensive, or you can have good. Don't see that line converge often when speaking of scopes. I guess it depends on your definition of inexpensive.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite varmint scopes is an old B&L Scope Chief in 4-12AO. I bought it used about twelve years ago. It is bright and images are sharp. I admit to owning and loving Kahles, Swaro and Zeiss. But, I also have a bunch of cheap and not so good, and some less expensive, but pretty good scopes. I parked this old B&L on my 257 Roberts and it's stayed there, ever since. I've sure killed a lot of varmints, groundhogs and deer with this scope. That's a long winded way of saying a used scope that is an older model can give you a bit more scope for your money.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikko-Sterling 10-40x 56mm.

I have one on a 300 Magnum with about 400 rounds to it's credit. Still works great.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Fly--Was your old B&L scope made in Rochester, NY? If so that's some of the finest optics ever. You cant beat the old NY made binocs and spotting scopes.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4 | Location: The Gem State | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok friends,

THANKS FOR THE MANY SUGGESTIONS YOU SURRENDERED AS TO AN INEXPENSIVE, (CHEAP)SCOPE FOR THE GUN I'VE PURCHASED.

AFTER CHECKING OUT THE VARIOUS SCOPES YOU MENTIONED, I CAME ACROSS A REALLY INEXPENSIVE, (CHEAP) ONE TO BUY.

I DIDN'T DO THIS WITH RECKLESS ABANDON AS I RESEARCHED 50 OR MORE USER REPORTS ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SCOPE.

MOST, IF NOT ALL, REPORTED VERY GOOD RESULTS WHILE USING THIS SCOPE.

THE SCOPE: TASCO (CHINESE MADE) 6X24X42 WITH MILDOT RETICLE.

I HAVE ALREADY MOUNTED THIS SCOPE ON MY LEFT-HANDED SAVAGE 12-FLV., AND WILL SOON BE RINGING THEM BOTH OUT.

BY SOON, I MEAN ABOUT 4 MONTHS FROM NOW AS I JUST HAD SHOULDER SURGERY DONE TO REPAIR A BROKEN BONE IN MY LEFT SHOUDER.

THE ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON, THAT DID THE WORK, SAID I SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY SHOOTING, I WOULD BE DOING IN THE FUTURE.

HERE'S HOPING.

QSL

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QSL:
THE SCOPE: TASCO (CHINESE MADE) 6X24X42 WITH MILDOT RETICLE.

Gulp, I hope it works out for you mate!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't read topics that are titled:

"Good, inexpensive."

Good luck.

Its Varmint and not varmit.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If you insist on a magnification range that high you are almost certainly going to be disappointed in any cheap scope. The compromised optics of cheaply made high-power variables is exaggerated by the high magnification. Such a scope will be impossible to focus, will be subject to having the zero move as the power cam moves, and will also be subject to leakage at the power ring and objective.

You would be much better off with a little higher quality scope that tops out at 12X, which will give you better optical resolution than a cheap scope at 18X or 24X.

From reports I've had, the new Redfield 4-12X (being produce by Leupold) has very acceptable optics, click adjustments, and is available with a range compensating reticle which is useful on a varmint rifle. I think you would find it much more effective than any bargain-priced Asian-made scope of higher power.

tu2 +1

These Redfield scopes are a good value.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are buying at the quality end of the market quality control is excellent and variability of the shelf is virtually non-existent.

As you go cheaper the variation item to item increases, perhaps 99% of brand X are junk, but occasionally the law of averages says that a better one is produced. Don’t buy mail order, examine individual scopes until you find ne you are happy with, look at the scope first and brand second.