Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold FX-II 6x36 Riflescope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Again, for a 350 yard riflewith typical shots in the 100 yard range, what do you think of this fixed power?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
In the Army we used 10x fixed from 100m to over a 1000m. 6x would be ok as long as you weren't hunting in heavy cover or dangerous game as you might lose the scope picture after the shot.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
well some of the hunting is in the brush her efor black bear and blacktailed deer, but I have removeable scope mounts and open sights on the custom to handle that.

Thanks for the words...another norcal boy huh?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your stock/scope mounting combination fits you well and you have no difficulty quickly acquiring the sight picture when you shoulder your rifle, then the 6x has adequate field of view for all but the tightest hunting situations. As far as the distant shots, you will be just as well off with a fixed 6x as a high-power variable. The fixed power has the advantage of simplicity, compactness, and lighter weight -- particularly in the Leupold 6x36 model.

By the way, even a 6x scope is probably faster for close range shooting than open sights. With open sights you have to line up three things that are all at radically different focusing distances -- the rear sight, the front sight, and the target. With a scope, you only line up the target.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah, more like bay area, but I hate confessing to that. I live in the valley of fruits and nuts.... I haven't been up in your neck of woods for a few years (mostly bear), may have to pull deer tags next year though.

As for the scope, if you keep it off of the ludicrous magnums, you should be able to put it back on target in .5 sec or so which is so bad. 6x is a lot better than 10x for that.... I have been leaning towars the VXIII 1.75-6x on my rifles as they have really good light transmission, are smaller and lighter, and 6x will do well out to 400 yds. I don't feel underscoped at 6x. The 36 mm objective at 6x should give a 6mm exit pupil which makes it easeier to get the scope picture and will make it easier to see everything in lowlight. If I were shooting fast moving game with a penchant ot gore rifleman, I would like something with a wider field of view, but for the cutest of ruminants, you will be fine.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I never felt underscoped with a 6x or 4x using them for 80% or more of game I have taken, shots as close as 15 yds, woods/whitetails.

I did have a 1.5-6x turned on 2-3x once in heavy timber as I watched a couple of Mule deer in Colorado. Shot a deer full run at around 100 yds with 4x.

I think you would be happy. Sold my 4x and 6x Leupold's, but kept my 6x36 Swarovski and have a 6x42 Nikon. Viewing game and target shooting are different as you know than taking a shot on a game animal. 6x offers alot of flexibility/pros with never having let me down when that is what I was carrying. On the other hand, high powered variables have sometimes made me wish I had only a straight 6x on a few occasions in the past. It seems like they ALWAYS just about were turned up ALL the way! Funny how that works. Seeing tremor and/or over-confidence in shot/prior or during trigger cycle can be a detriment using them.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I've gone to all fixed power scopes on hunting rifles, either 4x or 6x.
I like the profile of the 6x36. Don't have one, but do have several 6x42's.
When I started hunting in 1950, 4x scopes were THE ticket. None of the high powered optics back then. And, guys made some good long range shots with them. Hell, I shot my first Deer that year with iron sights. The Deer was dead.. The distance was 125 yards. No preaching here, just a statement that high powered scopes are a bunch of BS for big game hunting. A GOOD quality 4x or 6x scope is all you ever need, and it doesn't matter how far away the animal is. The advantage of wide field of view far outweighs any perceived disadvantage of using low power scopes. But, good glass is absolutely recommended.

Don

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Should have a custom scope here in the next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 36 mm objective at 6x should give a 6mm exit pupil which makes it easeier to get the scope picture and will make it easier to see everything in lowlight.

That is why it is the best compromise scope for antelope hunting. Not good for bushveld use, but ideal for mid-ranges. In general I set my 3-9x scope on the 6x setting. When I enter thick bush, I turn it down to 3x at the outset. The 3-9x scopes still rule the roost.

I had to take a headshot to an eland this weekend in the mountains at a ranged 145 yards - only his head was showing above the thick brush vegetation, and that was after the eland bull took a side shot behind the shoulder through the lungs and he ran for about 30 meters further into the bush and stopped - luckily for me. [Not a good idea to shoot an eland behind the shoulder]. I looked through a Tasco 4x40 and a S&B fixed 6x42. The choice was clear. The 4x was too small for me and felt a lot more comfortable with the 6x S&B and so I changed rifles. I shot him just where his ear starts and he dropped. Boy was I relieved. Some may argue that it (the magnification) is only a mental perception, but you need to feel confident about placing your shot, especially if you are paying and the chances are that you can lose an animal especially in these conditions that I encountered. [And also shooting rifles that are not your own and don't know them so well]

A wounded eland can run for miles and just the previous week 2 other hunters wounded 2 eland and they ran, flattened the boundary fence and they were lost. One was found dead the next day.

I just feel more sure of myself when I can see better to position the crosshairs with greater precision.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote