Notify
Tools

Nightforce NXS failure?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

Just looking for some feedback from other members as I think my NXS is faulty.

Basically I have had a 3.5-15x50 model on my custom 7mm Rem Mag which is a consistent sub half performer.

I went to my range this afternoon and the first group of 5 shots was strung vertically in what was approx a 3 inch group.

I then shot another 5 shot string with another load which again consistently hovers around the .5 mark and this went about 1.5 inches.

I then took the mod off and put a 3 shot group in with the same and this went about 5 inches! Again strung vertically.

I then checked all the obvious things and rings and bases were 100% as were the bottom metal screws.

So to complete the diagnosis I am going to put a spare S&B on board but won't be able to do this for perhaps a week or so.

I didn't do a box test of any kind but rather than do that I am hoping my S&B will diagnose immediately.

So basically my question is - has anyone out there had an NXS fail on them in any way?

All feed back gratefully recieved.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've only owned one NightForce scope, and did not have any issues with it.

The vertical stringing makes me think you have a bedding issue, not an optics issue.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Any scope can go bad at any time,

but,I'm with George on this-

My 3 NF's have been great (308, 338LM, 50BMG)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one NXS and have not had a problem with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three with never an issue. Please let us know what happens with the S&B.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks all

I will put money on it that it is not a bedding issue although until it is diagnosed properly I won't rule anything out.

I have had some feedback from other forums with 4 guys saying they have had NXS fail on them mechanically.

This is not a slant on Nightforce in my opinion as it is a fact that over the last 6 months I have had 2 friends with other quality scopes which have failed also. One was a 6-24x50 Swaro and the other the 6-24x56 Zeiss Diavari (not the Conquest just to qualify) and also I have known of an IOR failed mechanically in the last 2 weeks (one of their new models).

What I am trying to say is that NF scopes in my opinion are a super quality product and anything can fail.

I will put my S&B on this week at some point and confirm results.

Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scopes like all devices with moving parts fail.

Put on another proven scope and try it.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
rcam

Absolutely agreed with you on both counts.

Until I try another scope (even though I am pretty sure I already know the answer) my tests will be inconclusive.

Thanks

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from our precision/tactical match.

My buddy's NXS failed too.

My MarkIV won.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Rcam

V interesting.

Did it fail as in tracking or holding zero or both do you know?

Thanks

Jon

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Bit of an update gents for any interested parties.

Just got back from testing with the Schmidt on board as per the plan.

Basically I put in a 3 and a 5 shot group with the load that went 5 inches (all at 100 yards by the way). The 3 shot went just sub half and the 5 shot was late 5's possibly in the 6's.

I am convinced now that it is an issue with the scope.

I am just about to contact NF direct to see what they suggest as the next course of action.

Will keep this thread updated throughout with progress reports etc.

Thanks

JB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Rcam

V interesting.

Did it fail as in tracking or holding zero or both do you know?

Thanks

Jon

Exactly what you say in your last post. His rifle was a sub 1/2" gun and shot a 2" group. After the match he then put it on paper and did a box test which was not good.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Bit of an update gents for any interested parties.

Just got back from testing with the Schmidt on board as per the plan.

Basically I put in a 3 and a 5 shot group with the load that went 5 inches (all at 100 yards by the way). The 3 shot went just sub half and the 5 shot was late 5's possibly in the 6's.

I am convinced now that it is an issue with the scope.

I am just about to contact NF direct to see what they suggest as the next course of action.

Will keep this thread updated throughout with progress reports etc.

Thanks

JB

Please keep us updated. I just bought my second NF and would like to know how your problem is handled.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Interestingly and with help from a chap on another UK forum, I might have an idea what the problem could be.

Other NF's have failed, apart from other things, from the objective lense not being secured properly by the bonding agent used. I have noticed on mine that the bonding agent around the objective lense is not a continuous bond or line as it is on the occular lense. On the objective lense it is interrupted in two places around the circumference. Each interruption being about a cm in length. I am not assuming this to be the problem but it is interesting that the other couple of NF's have failed for this reason and mine has an interrupted bond.

Anyway time will tell and I will ask for a report when it comes back.

Will keep you posted.

Just like to add, NF Customer Service has been brilliant as has the CS from one of the 2 UK distributors (The Sportsman Gun Center).

As I have said before I know of several top brands of scopes fail including Swaro and Zeiss and IMO it is how the OEM deals with rectifying the problem. So far it has been exemplorary on both counts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just like to add, NF Customer Service has been brilliant as has the CS from one of the 2 UK distributors (The Sportsman Gun Center).

As I have said before I know of several top brands of scopes fail including Swaro and Zeiss and IMO it is how the OEM deals with rectifying the problem. So far it has been exemplorary on both counts.

I agree! Good to hear! Big Grin