Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Easy one?

Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest or 2.5-8x36 Leupold.

Did I get the dimensions right? I think so. Will go on my CZ 375 which will be restocked.

Thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Either would do well, but I would go with the Zeiss if for no other reason than it will save you a nice chunk of change over a VX-III.

There are differences, but most are too insignificant to notice under actual hunting conditions.

The edge in the ability to resolve fine detail goes to the Conquest. Ditto for contrast under poor lighting.

But again, either would serve your purposes quite well as they both are EXCELLENT scopes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9407 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bobby. Seems the Zeiss can be had on one discount site for like $359.00 versus about $70 more for the Leupy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the Leupold has somewhat more latitude in eye placement (both fore-aft and side-to-side) than the Zeiss. Buy whichever suits you, but it would be advisable to check them out in person ot determine if there is a discernable difference before deciding since this factor is important in quick target acquisition (not to mention having the snot knocked out of your eyebrow with a .375 using the wrong scope!)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try www.usoptics they have excellent scopes for hunters.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the Zeiss. I have been in the same situation, and now selling my last Leupold. Their guarantee is not worth so much when you loose by poor performing in the field and range. So, conclusion, ZEISS.
And yes mine is on a Sako 75 SS in
.375 HH.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Either would do well, but I would go with the Zeiss if for no other reason than it will save you a nice chunk of change over a VX-III.
------

+1

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+2 and as Bobby and others have pointed out it's a much better scope.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
+3. I'd go with the Zeiss in this magnification range.

I'll add this too, the (minor) difference in objective size, 32mm vs. 36mm, will be more than compensated for in the relatively brighter optics (higher light transmission) of the Conquest.

There is a slight difference in weight, if that bothers you, with the Conquest being ~2 1/4 oz. heavier. Not a deal breaker, but a difference nonetheless.

I think both are excellent scopes and it is almost a BMW vs. Mercedes analogy where you are left deciding based on subtle differences.

I wish Zeiss would use aluminum rather than plastic caps, but that is another topic of discussion.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll cast my vote in favor of the Zeiss also.
First, the glass is great, and the 4 inches of eye relief makes it a shear pleasure to use.
I don't have the 2 1/2-8x32 model, but I do have two other Conquests with the 4 inch eye relief; a fixed 4x and a 3-9x. The combination of eye relief and better optics makes it a winner for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and if the Zeiss is cheaper buy it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One spends his money as he chooses, but when attending guns shows, swap meets, etc. the Leupolds always seem to draw more money and have the confidence of the users. No such thing as a used Leupold for whomever sends it in for repairs it is taken care of promptly. Have several Leupolds and U.S.Optics and can find no fault with either of them.
Have you had Allen Glore price you a Leupold? Fair pricing and good service from my experience. Again, whichever one you feel is best, go with it.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold gets my vote. Rock solid with a no B.S. warranty. Never ever had to send one back to factory. To me it is a no brainer. Where do you send Zeiss scopes back to? Leupold scopes are tops around here.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leupold gets my vote. Rock solid with a no B.S. warranty. Never ever had to send one back to factory. To me it is a no brainer. Where do you send Zeiss scopes back to? Leupold scopes are tops around here.

Leupolds are tops for me as well. I have had to send some back but then I used them on heavy recoiling handguns and, it's true, they have a no BS warranty they honor even if you weren't the original purchaser of the scope.

I have a herd of Leupolds the majority of which I bought used at good prices. With a warranty that good, I don't see much of a down side to buying used.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LL Bean offers the Leupold VXIII for $429 and that includes mounting and bore sighting.

Good deal?

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would say an average deal unless you really don't want to mount and sight in the scope yourself.

I usually buy used and, since the warranty on Leupolds is good even if you didn't buy the scope new, I see no downside to this. I peruse auction sites and forums like this one and have picked up a number of optics in excellent (i.e., hard to tell from new) condition at good prices such as a Leupold VX III 4.5-14X AO for $350 and even a Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8X handgun scope for $225 (retail on the latter between $400 and $500). So, if you're inclined to wait and shop, there are good deals to be had.

Mounting and sighting in scopes also isn't that complicated. I've probably mounted 5 or 10 in the past year and I certainly wouldn't ever pay anyone to do it for me.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leopold can't beat service if you need it

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote