New
Find
Notify
Tools

March scopes-any opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A new player in upper end competition scopes. Below is the opinion of Fred Bohl, an engineer and scope expert.

I received both my 60x and 50x fixed March scopes in early May. I have begun testing them for a planned post. But for now let me say they are AWESOME!! Preliminary test results include:

Image quality is fantastic - sharp and clear to edge of field with near perfect color correction.

Resolution - slightly beats calculated Dawes Limit on AF resolution target - easily resolves 6mm and .224 bullet holes on both white and blue portions of IBS target at 600 yards (even with light mirage) - will resolve 50% overlap pair of 6mm and 30% overlap pair of .224 holes at 600 yards with no to low mirage.

Brightness - even with small exit pupils (1.04mm for 50x and 0.87mm for 60x) - the perceived brightness is as good for the 50x and just slightly less for the 60x as my Weaver T36s (1.11mm at 36x) in side by side comparison - the Marches will both provide useful target images to about 30 minutes past sunset.

Parallax/focus - even though I favor objective focus, both show backlash free and solid settings and are remarkably accurate relative to the turret markings.

POA adjustments - 72 MOA elevation and 50 MOA windage - 1/8 MOA actual and no perceptible linearity drop off to within 5 MOA of limits - repeatability is as perfect as I can measure - no detectable shift under recoil or handling.

For bad mirage I used the “Modifier Disc†(a 35mm aperture that screws into the objective). That reduces the resolution limit by 33% and the brightness by 55%. This greatly reduces some of the fine detail (shimmer and flash) in the mirage but retains the high magnification which helps get past the real bad mirage in afternoon (late relays). Note that the loss of image brightness is not a problem since the bad mirage is almost always during very bright conditions.

I am thinking it could be a wonderful line of scopes. I believe they use EF quality lenses and actually have a 10X60 variable.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote