THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.5x25 or 6.5x20 and a few more questions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to buy a leupold vx3 scope with the varmint hunters reticle in either 8.5x25 or 6.5x20 for on my new 204 ruger, the gun will only be used for target and groundhogs 500 yards and in with 500 yards puching it, most shots will be 100-300. Do you think the extra 5 power is worth the extra few hundred dollers for my needs? Does anyone have any experience with the varmint hunters reticle? I am a member to a 500 meter range and have been thinking about clicking for yardage, do you think learning the clicks and getting a dot reticle would be the way to go? I am thinking the varmint hunters reticle would be alot easyer to use in the field, Im open to any opinions thanks.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont have the Leupold varmint but have a few Nightforce. I would rather use the hold overs than clicking up. When I hunt chucks you dont have much time to click and using a hold over reticle is alot faster for me. If you forget to return to zero you'll be off. I have a Swarovski with the holder over reticle that Im waiting to put on a custom gun. I what to switch all my scopes to that type now. I shoot steel plates as well and I hate having to guess with a plex reticle or click up. As far as the extra power you dont need it. On a hot day the mirage will render those higher powers useless.

NRA life member,Colt Armoror

Posts: 33 | Location: NY | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree on the holdover points. I have both of the Leupolds you are thinking about. My 6.5-20x's are on two .223s and seem to be totally adequate on those guns. I have my two 8.5-25x's on .243s for the longer ranges I shoot at. Now...many times, I can't even use the 20x due to mirage. I'd stick to the lower powered scope for your .204 IMO.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a few 6.5x20x40, 6.5x20x50, and a 8.5x25x50.

I like the 6.5x20x50 best for shooting rodents at long range.

I think the optimum power for scopes is:
2X big game
14X rodents
18X bucks that need the eye guard antler idenified
40X targets

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Leupold 6.5-20 w/ 40mm objective and varmint hunter reticle on my 204 and I've been very pleased. Most of my shooting is done at about 14x to 16x. Sometimes I'm as low as 10x for extra field of view and on long shots sometimes up to 20x. At 20x field of view, mirage and critical eye relief can be issues.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote