Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch 4 X 16 X 50
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is this enough X and good enough optics for a 223 rem prairie dogger? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's hard to answer for some more than enough for others not quite enough !.

I prefer 6X20X44 or 50 some times 6X24X 50 is better, But I've also used 4X12X50 High End scope which worked just fine .

Kind of depends on how well you see , with out a scope .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The optics are SUPERB. The only question would be is if 16x is enough for your usage, and that's a question only you can answer as you know the terrain and conditions.

Heck, I've hunted them with XPs and scopes that spanned no more tahn 7x, but I was severely hampered on anything beyond a couple hundred yards.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also concerned if it is enough X. I was thinking of something more like a 6.5 X 20 but I can't seem to find target knobs and mil dot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these folks http://www.ableammo.com/

That's where I picked mine up from best price I could find .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's enough, but i do prefer the high end to be 20-24x and i also prefer a 40mm objective. 50 is great for gathering light, but PD's ain't out in the fading light

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I was thinking, I was hoping for at least 20X. I don't like the 50's either, I like 40 at the most.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I rarely crank mine above 16X as you get mirage in most pd "theaters of operation". In fact 10x is more common. If its what you have and you're on a budget I'd keep it and not thing twice. If not a 6 - 20 might (just might) be better but I really doubt it.

My opinion

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon 5-20X44SF M NP AO #8424 You'll love it LOOK through it !.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out these leupolds varmint hunter retacal.
burris ballistic mil-dot.
nikons,bdc=bullet drop compensater=round circles.4x14x40 or 4x16x40 or6x24x40 or5.5x20x40,would work fine.
regards Big Grin

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the circles in the Nikon BDC open? or would they cover a praiirie dog up?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes their open,a cousin bought one 4x12x40 with the bdc. it takes geting used to,look through one your eyes will tell the truth! regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use BDC scopes on anything under 400 -500 yd. . Fine Cross hairs or Duplex #4 German reticle Large caliber .30 and up only on 600 Yd- 1000 Yd cartridges do I use them and prefer IOR sliding scale rather than mil dot .

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I find the 4 to 16 power the most useful for sage rats....more power than that, I have trouble either seeing clearly out of, or if I move an inch, I loose the site of the target at 400 yds...no matter how good of quality the glass is...

I have 6 x 24s and a couple of 8 x 32s... they spend all of their field time at 16 power or below....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
I did a review of sorts using a new 4-16x42mm Nikon Monarch with a BDC reticle.

Here's the link if your interested.
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9089&PN=1

Sorry I got so long winded. Smiler

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cheaptrick and I do mean Mr, nice shooting, and Thanks. Your findings show that the BDC would work for prairie doggin correct?

One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
Mr. Cheaptrick and I do mean Mr, nice shooting, and Thanks. Your findings show that the BDC would work for prairie doggin correct?

Yes Sir, I feel the BDC reticle when used with a laser range finder, would work well for small varmints.
My next outing will be with a AR15 shooting 55 and 75gr. .223 ammo.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be anxious to see those results especially the lighter bullets as the 223 I am getting has a 1-12" twist. Thank you