New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars for Moutian Goat Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently using 8.5x42 EL Swarovskis.I'm thinking of going on a mountian goat hunt and was wondering if I should buy a smaller pair of glass,8x30 EL or Leica Ultravid.The terrain will steep and very rough I'm guessing.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you intend to hunt? Goat hunting is usually pretty rough, not always. If you have a guide, ask him. I use an old Swarovsky 10 x 40. Heavy, but superb glass. The spotting scope and range finder are actually more critical. Goats are pretty easy to spot. In my experience, a lot of guides have crappy optics. Make sure one of you has a good spotting scope with tripod. It would be foolish not to ahve a range finder good to 500, considering how cheap they are now.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it you are looking for something lighter ?
That's why I bought a Nikon LX-L 8X32. Unless you are dark timber very early or late, there isn't much difference as long as it is a truly sharp 8X32.
Many makers don't make as sharp an 8X32 as their 8X40/43's. I've seen this with the Pentax 8X32 DCF WP.
I understand the Swaro EL's are no where near as sharp as the equivalent Zeiss FL, the Leica Ultravids, or the Nikon LX-L's. If you insist on a Swaro, I'd certainly compare them to the competition.
The other thing is the Ultravids, and the others, are built much tougher than the EL's according to my sources. E

one of us
posted Hide Post
RSm,

Unless have you money burning a hole in your pocket and simply WANT a new bino, I'd say there's no need to even consider anything else because you have one of the top four binos in the world, and IMHO, the few ounces you'd save are meaningless.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
ULTRAVID-- optically they r all good but contruction quality goes to LEICA

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you own an Ultravid?...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A couple New Zealand hunting guides I hunt with use big 7x50 and 10x40 for Himalayan Thar ( a mountain Goat hunted in the rugged southern Alps}. I use Zeiss 10x40s.
I think your 8.5s would be fine.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
yes i own an ultravid

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10-4. Was just curious because you posted recently asking about them. Good choice!

one of us
posted Hide Post
White goats stick out like nobodys business. The optics you already have should locate them. I would invest in a high grade compact spotter to size up the animal the meets your criteria for harvest.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote