Find
Notify
Tools

lens shade
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I'm sure this is going to be a very lame question. When you install a lens shade on your scopes, do you re-install the objective ring on the end of the shade?

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No.

Leupold sun shades screw into the threads on the objective lens end of the scope.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Thanks GeorgeS, On the Ziess Conquest I had to remove the outer objective ring. Then screw the lens shade on. I was just curious if folks screwed the removed ring back on the end of the shade or left it off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it like that I would screw it back on to keep from potentially exposing the threads to damage.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like to me you just released all the Nitogen that makes your scope fog proof and water proof and you let all those little germs or invisable maggots into and otherwise virus free chamber! Maybe send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed would be a good idea! Roll Eyes

But Ziess are over engineered, so maybe you can do that... bewildered

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Atkinson, It's strictly an end ring to cover the threads left exposed after setting the objective lens and seal. No damage to scope, just a thread cover. I went ahead and put it back on the end of the shade. For looks more than anything.