New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used them? Are they any good?

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiner produces several different lines of binoculars, and they vary to some degree in quality. Their "leader" model, the 8x30 is a nice, light, compact model that can be had for around $200, but its optics are somewhat mediocre (I think some of the internal lenses may be plastic rather than glass). My son used this model for a while, then found one night when we were spotting deer on an open field by moonlight that he couldn't see the same deer that two others of us were seeing easily with medium-priced Leupold models.

In their more expensive lines, Steiner makes some pretty good instruments. They are one of the few manufacturers that still offers you the option of models with individual focus eyepieces (as opposed to center focusing.) I much prefer the IF for a lot of reasons I won't go into here. If you spend enough money with Steiner, you can get some pretty serviceable binos, and get them with IF if you like.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Hi I have a Steiner Nighthunter in 8x30 and it is very bright and clear. It is not as good as Zeiss victory but the Zeiss costs 3 times more.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Steiner Perrigrine's are good binox.
Like some other things, if you are careful with what Steiner's you buy, you can get some good binox, as not all Steiner's are created equal.

Don

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Optics is one place where quality follows price pretty closely. This for some reason is particularly true with binoculars.

Steiners armored quality units have a particularly good reputation from all I hear.

I really like my Leica BRFs, and I also have a 10x50 Fujinon with compass, which I would characterize as adequate, but "nothing to write home about."

The gentleman is correct about the more expensive Leupolds which are pretty decent as well.

Smiler

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

While I'm not outa sync with other responses on this thread; I'm definately aligned with what Stonecreek said above.

I have two pair of Steiner Military/Marine 8x30's. I purchased them from SFWA's Sample List; their discounted, refurbished, Trade-In or Demo Specials. Supposedly ours were Shot Show demo models - I can't confirm this and really don't care because; so far their performance has certainly lived up to our expectations. I guess the real Acid Test would be to ask if I'd buy another and at the price we paid - Definately.

I also have a German hunting aquaintance who uses one of Steiner's top of the line 7x50's and he could afford many other binos - he swears by them.

I and my wife enjoy them for what they are; a small, light, handy, inexpensive binocular w/individual eyepiece focus which we both like and we each have a pair focused for our eyes. Optically, they're better than average and they are genuinely rugged. When they're not on safari, tour, vacation or sailing with us they live on the dashboard of my hunting vehicle, so they take beating; while neither of us abuse them they have certainly held up very well with alsmot everday use under varying less-than-sterile conditions for for many years.

If Steiner was going to be my ONLY binocular; I'd select something at the upper end of their product range, nor are the 8x30's a bino I'd select for any serious twilight or nightitme use either.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
The Steiner Perrigrine's are good binox, not all Steiner's are created equal.

Don

Good advice. But I think it is spelled Peregrine. I don't own a pair but a friend does and I have used them. Very nice glass.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not impressed with the ones I looked through..focus was a problem for me..clarity not too good either...Zeiss far superior...in fact Pentax poroprims were superior on all counts...and cheaper too boot...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Calling 8x30 binos NIGHTHUNTER sounds like a conflict to me. That would only be a 3.75MM exit which would be akin to trying to light a room with a candle. Bout like a VW engine and name the car Dragster. All this aside,the absolute best buy in binoculars is go to EBAY and find a pair of Bausch&Lomb Rochester NY made zephrs the 7x35 are hard to beat. If you wont be walking much where weight is not a factor the old WW2 military 7x50's survived the war and are still good as day one.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some of the Steiners are very nice others just OK. But from what I have seen they are rugged. My cheap Sahara compacts are perfect for riding around in the truck or in a pocket for a stadium event but not what I use for extended glassing chores.

I've looked through most of the high end Steiners and agree they are nice but not anything special compared to their equal price competition and certainly not Zeiss, Swaro or Leica.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of night hunter 8x56 low light conditions are unbelieveable. Great Binox

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't personally like them at all, I have had 3 pairs a pair of 8x30s, 25x80s, and 20x80s. Not being able to focus is a horrible system, and both big eyes had the same problem in that each eye was focused on somethign different.

CRAP is how I brand them.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon or Pentax in the mid-range field will do you better.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Love my Nikon 8.5x56 more than any glass I have ever owned or used including two pairs of Swarovskis El and SLC.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own 3 pairs of Steiner binos, 8x30 Nighthunter, 7x50 Admiral with compass and 15x80 Military. I've had quite a bit of experience with their binoculars and their customer service. They do make some really good binos but they make some real CRAP too! They pretty much make 2 different grades of binos, the 30 year warranty mil-spec rated models and the non mil-spec 10 year warranty models. I would avoid any of the non mil-spec 10 year warranty models. I would most definately avoid ALL of the 8x30 non mil-spec models. They have a VERY cheaply made flimsy plastic eyepiece adjustment design that is VERY delicate, drop them on the ground on the eyepiece from only a couple of feet and they're history. These include the 8x30 Military Marine, Safari, Predator and Navigator models all CHEAP CRAP! I know some people claim theirs are tough as nails but trust me, you just haven't bumped them the wrong way yet. I had TWO pairs of 8x30 Predators fail from the SAME problem. After a lengthy fight with Steiner I finally had them upgraded to the 8x30 Nighthunters which ARE mil-spec rated with 30 year warranty and they are great. Steiner's customer service is also hit and miss. Also the so called "military marine" non mil-spec models sold in the stores are NOT the same and not to be confuse with the ACTUAL military mil-spec issue which is not sold in stores. Yes Steiner DOES make some very good binos but in my experience stay away from the 10 year models that are not mil-spec rated. That being said though, IMO dollar for dollar there ARE better optics for the money whether comparing Steiner's low end or higher end models but then like most optics from Europe, they all tend to be overpriced anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the money they cant be beat. I've got a pair of the 8x30 military marines and they have performed excellant. Just a quick story on Steiners customer service. After suffering through cheap 35 and 40 dollar binos for YEARS, the wife finally said to go get myself a nice pair. Ended up with the Steiners. Well I'd had them for a year or so and one day in Oct. I was over at the farm that I hunt on and was doing some brushhoging of the trails. I had my binos with me around my neck and had gotten off the tractor to clear some thorn tree limbs out of the road. Well the binos were swinging around my neck so I took them off and laid them on the rear tractor tire. Cleared the brush, got back on the tractor and continued on brushogging. Well I got about a hundred yards down the trail and remembered my binos. CRAP!!! Turned around and needless to say the binos were in about 50 pieces and none bigger then a golfball. Scooped up the pieces and took them home. I was so pissed at myself but thought, hey, I'll send them back to Steiner with a letter telling them how much I liked them and how their armor coating wouldn't hold up against a brushog blade spinning 3000 rpm. I thought well maybe they will send me a coupon for 10 percent off my next pair or something similar. Well about a month later the UPS man comes to the door and has a box. Open it up. Brand new pair of binos!! Now that right there is what I call customer service. I make it a point to relay this story everytime someone asked about buying a new pair of binos. Steiners are top shelf in my book!!! beer

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a pair of the ex military 8x30s back from Germany and can honestly say that my cheap Bushnell Trophys outperform them. Also, they are not repairable. I gather, in the event of a warantee claim, they simply replace them, which may or may not be a good thing.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are better choices for the same money, regardless of what amount of money you're talking about.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to agree with Gatorgordo. For the money, there are better choices. For about $500 you can get a set of Kern (Swiss mil surp) 8x30's that are the equivalent of Leica or Zeiss glass. You won't see this quality for the money with the US$$/Euro situation. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As I said, Steiner's customer service is hit and miss and I must say that Cobrajet had gotten exceptional service indeed but that is more like the exception rather than the rule. My guess is this incident happend very shortly after you purchased them. My dealings with Steiner have been less than stellar. Another thing to note on their service and warranty is if the bino fails withing the first year or so they will most likely just replace them with a new pair BUT if it breaks a couple of years later they might replace them with a refurbished pair that may not be in as good of condition as the ones you sent in. That is exactly what happend to me. I sent in a pair in perfect condition and they returned a pair to me that looked like they fell of the back of a truck. Also another thing to note is their 10 year non mil-spec models are NOT nitrogen purged where as the 30 year warranty mil-spec models are. There are other brands that do offer nitrogen purged binos for less money than the entry level Steiners.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Steiner 10X50's that I've been using for 15 years or so.....they've given excellent service and no problems. I personally like the set-and forget (within a range, at least) focus. Clarity and durability have been excellent.....

I do plan to replace them, but not till I can afford the Leica 10X42's with the LRF. That could be a while.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I looked through a pair of Merlins in 10x42 just recently, and they seemed to be very bright, clear glass for the money. Unfortunately, "the money" was still more than I had to spend, but I'd say from there on up would be fine choices for hunting binox. Their Peregrine's are very highly regarded.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Yes ...I have a pair of 7x50's would not trade them or sale them. For the price IMO you can't beat it.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
My Brother has a pair of Steiners and I bought a pair of Pentax last year from Cameraland. They are both very clear but I like the Pentax focus and eye releif better. The pentax's were a little more, even on sale, and I think are slightly better.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
I've owned (and still own many) binoculars from:

Zeiss, Bausch&Lomb, Nikon, Minox, Pentax, Swarovski, Brunton, Kahles, and several other "low-end" brands.

I've never owned a pair of Steiner - but this is NOT because I never got around to trying them... I just didn't like what I saw enough to ever buy a pair.

Draw your own conclusions.