Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Conquest problem on 378
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello ,
i was sighting in my 378 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40MC ,made sure everything was tight bedding clean etc ,the first shot would be good, then following shots would start to walk downwards ,i let it cool, tried it several times same thing ,i then replaced the scope with a Meopta[ both with Talley qd mounts] and it started to group with the Meopta ,wondered if anyone else has had problems with Zeiss Conquest on harder kicking rifles ?
Thanks TH

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
When you fire any hard-kicking rifle with an image-movement scope, the barrel goes back and up, and the erector tube's front end wants to stay where it is, whacking against the spring or bottom of the scope.

It's a wonder any of them can hold zero. Swarovski and Leupold at least admit there's a problem and are employing more/better springs.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sambarman 338 ,i will try a Kahles on it once i get the suitable rings
cheers

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've used a Kahles Helia Super 27 on my 338 Magnum for 33 years and it has stood up to the recoil and numerous falls. It had the old reticle movement, of course, which means there was no second, moveable tube inside to get knocked around. Trouble is the eye relief wasn't that flash and the 378 is in another recoil field altogether.

We have a new Helia C 1.1-4x24 and it has longer eye relief but no flexibility past the sweet spot. And though the reticle is in the forward position, I believe it is image moving, too, as are virtually all scopes these days.

Valdada still make tactical scopes on the old reticle-movement system but I don't know whether you'd want something that looks like that, or how good they really are.

If I had to put a new scope on your rifle I would look at either the Swarovski Z6 1-6 or Nickel Magnum 1.5-6, which should both be tough and have pretty long eye reliefs. The Nickel is through the roof and can only be bought by mail order. If it is as strong as the old Nickel Supras from Marburg it should be good enough, but I believe both of those new scopes have constantly centred reticles.

The Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 apparently has very strong springs and a 95mm eye relief and only costs about $1000.

If you have more time than money, you could try to find an old Nickel, Hensoldt or Zeiss reticle-movement scope on ebay. There can be some nice bargains around $200 but you would want to interrogate the seller that everything works and that the reticle does in fact move out of centre, which means you have to get it properly mounted so that it finishes up in the middle.

Some of the old Nickels like the 1960s 1-4 variable have really good eye relief at 1x but shorten drastically past 1.5x, down to less than three inches at 4x. The later reticle-movement Nickel and Hensoldt 1.5-6 scopes, from perhaps the 1980s, have fatter tubes and hold reasonable eye reliefs at least up to 4x.

There is also a lot to be said for a good big peep sight mounted straight on top, rather than with a cross arm.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote