Find
Notify
Tools

M4, M1, M3?, Whats the diff.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
Leupolds web site reads like a book for the "Recently Deceased".

What the difference between the M4's M1's, etc and the standard scopes. Lens?

I recently purchased a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LRT with varmint reticle (57180 I think?). I have it mounted on a Savage 12FLV (308win) with Choate stock and some extra's, it shoots groups that make me look very good and is a very nice varmint rig. It's a treat to use and I couldn't be happier, but I still don't understand the more exspensive M1's etc.

Can you explain them to me......

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The MOA clicks are different.

Some of the M series have a full one inch elevation click for quick dialing on sniper shots. Some have 1/2" I believe.

Leupold's website probably defines it more, I know their catalog explains it.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
aren't there differences in "matched lens"? I know the verticle and horizontal adjustments are different, however, that doesn't account for $2,$3,$400 or more difference in cost??????

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only difference between the M1, M2, and M3 are the turret style and the different adjustments, such as M1 has 1/4 MOA click adjustments and the M3 have 1/2 MOA windage and 1 MOA elevation. The M3 and M2 hvae Bullet Drop Commpensation marks also.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Jon --- Do you mean to tell me that the only difference between my 6.5-20x50 LRT with varmint reticle and the M1,M3,M4 is the adjustments and reticles......

It seems to me that an aftermarket reticle from one of the specialty companies would be a smarter way to go, if that is the only difference. So there is no difference in lens, huh......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think either I am confused or you are confused. You are asking about your 6.5-20x50 LRT, after reading your post I guess you have a VX-III 6.5-20x50 Long Range scope and it is not the Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20x50 Tactical scope? If you were asking between these two scopes, I was assuming that you were just asking the difference between a Mark 4 scope with M1, M2 and M3 knobs.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Jon, You are correct, The box (scope #57180) is marked VXIII 6.5-20x50mm LRT w/ varmint reticle. Not the tactial Mark 4.

One box is marked LRT (Long Range Target)
the other is marked LR/T (Long Range/Tactial)

I wanted to know the difference in these 2 scopes, Sorry I didn't make my self clear.

I also have an older VARI-X III 3.5-10AO that gets me confused, with the new VX, XR, ZtripleY mark 90.111 PH-1 squared and add 4+90.

Hell, someday people are going to make things simple when it comes to naming manufactured items. Like I said, I find the Leupold site confusing. It's as clear as mud, but it covers the ground.

Thanks, Mike