THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Armored binoculars: What say you???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Several years ago Doctor optic sold some black, rubber armored binoculars in 7 x 42 and 10 x 42. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they any good?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doctor Optik is the new name for the East German Zeiss Werkes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

They still make them.

Cannot comment of them as I've never used or seen them in the field.

http://www.docter-germany.com/frontend/index.php?itid=2...5669uvj2md3oskpjrls1

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

You're welcome.

Doctor's stand is normally right behind us at the Dortmund Hunt/Dog Convention so I tend to "lurk" a bit.

I have a Doctor 2.5-10x50 Scope and am quite pleased with it.

My take-away is that Doctor has decicded not to compete directly with the Big Brand Name 50mm & 56mm night-time bino manufacturers here in The Fatherland that are so prevalent due to night time hunting, aming a pretty genaeric Day use Bino. That's preobably why I haven't seen any while on hunting escapades here in Germany.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of their surplus military binoculars and they were, except for the cluttered looking reticle inside, great glasses ...but heavy. I gave them to my PH who used them for his truck glass.

The optics were very, very good.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Several years ago Doctor optic sold some black, rubber armored binoculars in 7 x 42 and 10 x 42. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they any good?
Docter is now a brand name rather than the manufacturer. This has no relevance to your query, though. If you refer to the binocular family using roof prisms with individually focusing eye pieces, I believe the 7x42 should be 8x42. These are simplified, updated versions of the DDR 7x40 EDF binocular (and its commercially sold Safari version), perhaps of even better quality. These are superb products -- more durably manufactured and assembled than other currently manufactured binocular. The only binocular, in my opinion, of superior manufacture is the recently discontinued Zeiss-Wetzlar 8x30 B/GA IF Olive that was originally designed for the Bundeswehr in the early 1960s.

The only areas of concern are bulk and the IF focusing. These binoculars are relatively heavy at about 35 ounces, give or take. At the end of a long day's hunt, they are more than I care to carry -- hence, my Zeiss 8x30s. Individually focusing eye pieces can be slower to focus for hunters the first time. Since you can prefocus, this is really a non-issue. And since hunters do not require rapid changes of focus, once they're focused, that's that.

The eye pieces on these binoculars are a joy for spectacle wearers. They accordion in under pressure from the front of the lens -- simple and effective. I could go on for quite a while, but why bother? If you need additional magnification of the 10 power, this is probably the finest hunting binocular available. I have no strong feelings on the 8 power. My personal choice, after wasting thousands of dollars over the past 30+ years, is the Zeiss mentioned earlier. Similar principle, better execution for my purpose. I cannot say better for yours.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote