New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce Zero Stop?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see that Nightforce scopes have a new feature this year 2008 called Zero Stop Elevation. Does anyone know what this is or does? It sounds like the elevation knob is not limited. This adds about $180 to a scope.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How could the elevation not have a limit? Just guessing, but it sounds to me like the user can set maximum and minimum stop points for the turrets to turn...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6643970.html

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is does is locks out the turret say for your baseline zero. So if you dial in a different zero all you do is turn the turret til it stops and your back at your baseline zero. Its a nice feature.I have a few NF scopes but none of the zero stop models. Great piece of glass!

NRA life member,Colt Armoror

Posts: 33 | Location: NY | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Bhoges said, with this feature, if you get lost in the elevation, you just crank back to zero and start over. The idea is that in the heat of competition, battle, whatever, you can lose track of where you're at, and this gets you back to a known zero without getting off the gun or taking your eyes off the field.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's the difference in this versus the scopes that have rotating turrets with little allen screws to set the zero, from which you can then go up or down, and subsequently reset it back to the zero you set before you began messing with it?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The zero stop sets your lowest zero not the upper limit and it actually limits going any lower.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the difference in this versus the scopes that have rotating turrets with little allen screws to set the zero

That's so the knobs read zero, and you don't have to do weird math to figure out what to dial to.

quote:
and it actually limits going any lower

That is you cannot turn the knob below that point. It stops physically at that point so you can return to zero in darkness by touch only---or without taking your eyes of the field.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the turrets can be reset to zero once your dialed in but with zero stop you cant go below the base setting.

NRA life member,Colt Armoror

Posts: 33 | Location: NY | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that you can adjust the zero stop point? Sounds like to use this feature you would zero the rifle at 100 yards, zero the turrets to read zero and set the zero stop to this point. Then you can move your elevation up to shoot longer, say 12 clicks up and when you want to get back to the 100 yard zero just turn the turret till it stops. Is this correct? Also, this feature is only on the elevation turret, not the windage, correct?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would assume that you can adjust the zero stop point?

yes

quote:
Sounds like to use this feature you would zero the rifle at 100 yards, zero the turrets to read zero and set the zero stop to this point. Then you can move your elevation up to shoot longer, say 12 clicks up and when you want to get back to the 100 yard zero just turn the turret till it stops. Is this correct?

Yes. You could use a different zero distance if you want, but 100 yards makes the most sense with this feature since you can't go below it.

quote:
Also, this feature is only on the elevation turret, not the windage, correct?

I believe so.

LWD