THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    What makes a scope a "Shotgun/muzzleloader" scope?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes a scope a "Shotgun/muzzleloader" scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a camo, variable powered scope for my son's new camo Ruger 10/22. I'm finding out there's not a lot of choices out there. Of the few camo scopes I see, a large number are described as "shotgun/muzzleloader" scopes. What does this mean? ConfusedI know riflescopes usually have the parallax set at 75 yds while rimfire scopes are much closer. Do "shotgun/muzzleloader" scopes have an in between parallax? Thanks.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago purchased two Nikon 1.75x4.5 "shotgun" scopes for general use and they have been used on everything from 22's to 458Lotts and still working today. I think the 75yd item is the only real difference, but they are a tough little scope for the money. They are offered in camo as well I believe.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some centerfire scopes have parallax set at 100 yards. 22 Rimfire scopes have their parallax set at 50, or 60 yards. Shotgun/muzzleloader scopes have parallax set at 75 yards, with is about ideal for a 22 rimfire also. The difference in parallax in scopes having it set at 50, 60, or 75 yards is negligible when looking thru the center of the scope's eye piece.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, it's probably the parallax setting. I use Leupold's VXI 1-4 on my 375 H&H and 416 Rem. I like their ruggedness and thick reticle. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
As already mentioned, it's probably the parallax setting. I use Leupold's VXI 1-4 on my 375 H&H and 416 Rem. I like their ruggedness and thick reticle. Lou

+1

The thick reticle I think is another shotgun scope feature.
My son just bought a Leupold shotgun/muzzle loader scope. I'll have to ask him.