Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help on old Leupold
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted
My friend brought over a 1953 Winchester model 70 in 270 with a Leupold 4X Mountaineer Scope. Anyone know the value of this scope, the scope and rifle look about 95% condition. Thanks for any replies.
Senator

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
$50 or so based on completed auction on GunBroker.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scope is nicely coupled with a contemporary rifle, and may be original to it. I'd say, unlike most scope/rifle combinations, that the two are more valuable left together than separated.

There's not as much collector interest in old scopes as you'd think there might be, so as GeorgeS indicates, most of them bring fairly nominal money.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Were it not for restrictive import/export laws between our countries, I'd love to buy a scope like that in good condition. Assuming it does have turrets, you will have noticed you can screw the reticle out of centre, a fact spruiked as a demerit by most in the trade. It does, however, tell you there is no mini-me scope rocking around inside every time you you shoot with it on a heavy rifle, and I wish Leupold would bring back that system.

Considering shooters tend to be DYI types who do not shrink from dressing game and fixing cars, it beats me why they have fallen for the BS that they are not capable of installing scopes straight on their rifles.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Considering shooters tend to be DYI types who do not shrink from dressing game and fixing cars, it beats me why they have fallen for the BS that they are not capable of installing scopes straight on their rifles.

I sometimes help out a friend who has a sporting goods store (in exchange for being allowed to hang around.) He almost always removes the scopes from used rifles he trades for or buys. You wouldn't believe the unreasonable percentage of scopes which come in mismounted in one fashion or another. If these guys work on their own cars I'll bet they cross-thread a lot of spark plugs.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that have replied. My friend is not interested in selling the gun nor the scope. He inherited from a family member. Through my own search of this scope I have found them from 100.00 to 250.00 on the internet. Again thank you for your time.
Senator

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Did they sell for that or were they just listed for that? There's a big difference between the two.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS
I have found were they have sold from 100 up to 200 dollars based on condition. This scope had been with the described rifle since 1953. A complete combination on a original pre 64 model 70.
Senator

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you find the right person, and they are out there, good old used scopes can fetch a good price..Ive seen that old Leupold sell for $190, $275 (mint with mounts), Look good on a pre 64 and work as well as any scope for big game hunting...

If you want to see a high dollar collector scope, find a Leupold Alaskan in 2.5X, 4X or 6X or a Lyman Alaskan at about $250 to $400 or any old Lyman for that matter..

There is a market out there, you just have to find it..Such items are slow selling is the problem..

I have a bucket full of as new Pachmyer QD mounts for sale, I get a $100 apiece for a set of rings and bases, I sell about 2 sets a year, and the buyers are excited..I buy and sell a lot of old mounts, old scopes, and rings..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote