New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch vs. Leupold VXII
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a new scope, and I am looking at the Monarch 6X18 and actually a Leupold Mark AR 6X18. I am able to get both of them for around the same price range ($400-500)

I was told that the Mark AR scopes use the same glass as the VXII's (am I correct?)

Who's glass is better for the money?

If it matters this is going on a AR-15 for varmints and target shooting.

Or is there another line that I should look at that would be comparable (16X or higher)? I prefer something with a 1" tube, I have a LaRue mount that my currant scope is on that I want to use.f

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a good buy, the NIKON Monarch 4-16x42 SF Riflescope.

For more details go to:

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/N...cope-4-16x42-SF.html

Monarch series scope feature:

* Monarch Eye Box Technology - A huge ocular with a generous field of view provides 4-times magnification zoom range and four inches of constant eye relief. Quick-focus eyepiece allows for a crisp, detailed sight picture

* Smooth Zoom Control - Magnification reference numbers are viewable from the shooter’s position

* Locking Side Focus Parallax Adjustment - Standard on all Long Range Monarch riflescopes, Nikon’s easy-to-reach dial allows you to quickly focus from a shooting position

* Enhanced Mount Ring Spacing - Provides mounting to virtually any rifle action regardless of caliber—even magnumlength actions

* Ultra CleanCoat Lens System

* One-Piece Main Body Tubes - Milled from aircraft grade aluminum for minimum weight and maximum strength and durability
* Sunshade Adaptable - All Monarchs can be fitted with sunshades. Monarch 5-20x44 and 6-24x50 models include a sunshade

* Waterproof, Fogproof, Shockproof - Legendary Nikon ruggedness is guaranteed

Nikon's Exclusive Ultra ClearCoat® Lens Coating

The basis of the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Rifle Scope, Nikon Ultra ClearCoat is a complete system that consists of superfine Eco-Glass lens glass and Nikon's proprietary anti-reflection multicoating technology that boosts light transmission up to its theoretical maximum - 95%.

"This new optical system is truly the next generation in quality optics for the hunter who demands the ultimate in optical and mechanical performance," said Jim D'Elia, General Manager of Nikon Sport Optics.

Nikon's Lifetime Full Warranty

Nikon is dedicated to quality, performance and total customer satisfaction. If any Nikon rifle scope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, we will, at our option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner. No time limit applies and no warranty card is required. After all, your Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Rifle Scope is a precision instrument that you shouldn’t hesitate to take wherever your hunting takes you.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the glass in the Monarch compare to Leupolds? Is the Monarch glass comparable to the VXI, VXII, or VXIII?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get the Monarch.
That being said, is there anywhere near where you live/work where you can compare the two side by side?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is always the case, but my monarch is way, way brighter and clearer than my buddy's vxII when put side by side. My nikon buckmaster on another rifle is also better than the vxII.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
I'd get the Monarch.
That being said, is there anywhere near where you live/work where you can compare the two side by side?

No, there is not. I have a Leupold Mark AR 3x9, but I have no way to compare the Nikon and Leupold with higher magnification together.

Both of these two would be special order's for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently compared the Monarch to Zeiss and Leupold scopes at the same magnification and about the same objective size range side by side in low light. The Monarch was very close to the Zeiss conquest in brightness and resolution but not as good. The Leupold VX-II was not as bright or clear as the Monarch.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote