New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a GPS for Botswana. Maps are not an issue. I know it's not an optics subject, but hey... Your ideas & recommendations please. I'm really in the dark here.

Posts: 33 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a Garmin unit. Simple to use and very reliable. As to which model, that is more difficult depends on your budget and what features are important. They range from under $100.00US to $1000.00US. I personally have a Vista HcX model and love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a decent Garmin- the 60CSx is a very good one. Etrex useless..
Serious users in heavily wooded New Zealand wilderness rate this model highly- very good readings in heavy trees and ravines.

I got one and am totally happy with it

Chris NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not say that all Etrex units are useless, the lower priced ones are sold at a price point, but the higher models are current technology and feature the high sensitivity receivers as well as compass, barometer, and altitude. The 60 series is actually an older model. Both units have good reviews. Do an online search for GPS reviews for suggestions as to the best unit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 60s have been around for a while but there's a -huge- difference between the first 60s and the latest CSx.

My brother-in-law has used all sorts, and was blown away by how much better the CSx is than others he's tried. This was in very difficult reception areas, not just easy open country/canopy. If you're always in a high signal area, anything would probably work.

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have an old etrex with me and it worked flawless so far. I would take it again. It is simple with the basic features and too much game-playing options...

Take care that any GPS uses AA-batteries as you could get them nearly anwhere...!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris-NZ:
Get a decent Garmin- the 60CSx is a very good one. Etrex useless..
Serious users in heavily wooded New Zealand wilderness rate this model highly- very good readings in heavy trees and ravines.

Chris NZ

+1 on the Garmin 60 CSx

I would conisder the Rino series if you hunt with partners a lot.

The new generation antenna and ability to get a fix under the forest canopy is great.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely check out the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx or 60Cx (CSx has digital compass and barometric altimeter). The Garmin Colorado series has been having some issues so far, some have been resolved but they are still having other problems. Other Garmins worth checking out are the Legend HCx and Vista HCx (the Vista has the compass and altimeter, Legend does not).

Magellan eXplorists aren't available anymore but there was a firmware hack you could do to give them new life, great units. The newer Triton series sarted off like the Colorados, but latest firmware updates have resolved the major issues.

Delorme has some nice stuff but I'm not certain about the software offerings, the PN-20 gets rave reviews but seems like it's limited to the USA.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Feedback appreciated.

Posts: 33 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Feedback appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Don't know if you've picked one up already but I got an eTrex Legend HCx a month ago and its been great. Excellent battery life and very hard to lose the signal, even indoors at most places. You can also upload maps if you like but that may not be needed depending on what you do.

I also had a regular eTrex legend for many years which was a very good unit, almost bought another one but the HCx was only a little more and better.

Posts: 21 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: 05 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First have a look at the maps of Botswana and then make sure the GPS can display info in the same format as the maps.

It would also be helpful if it displays info in the same format as your home country so you can make use of your investment after you return!

Battery life is never that great so take plenty of spare batteries.

Check out the Silva Multi-Navigator. I have one and it has lots of obscure map grids as well as formats like UTM and latitude/longitude. Uses ordinary AA batteries so in my case my spare natteries can serve for GPS, flashlight and camera. Its rugged and waterproof and used by our special forces so more than good enough for me.

I am not familiar with Botswana but in my country have obtained readings in heavy tree cover forest as well as in open country.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I have several.... a hand held Garmin and, since I'm disabled, I hunt from a Rhino 660. I have an older lap top that's mounted on the Rhino, along with a small unit that plugs into it (USB). Maps were loaded into the laptop and a cursor of my choice locates my position in real time anywhere in the US. I use a small solar cell to keep the battery topped off.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something else that no one has mentioned and i overlooked:

Never rely solely on the GPS, always take a paper map and compass with you as well and I suggest taking and noting readings with compass everytime an opportunity to sight a landmark presents itself.

At the very least note what direction you are travelling away from a feature you can find again. For exanple if you are heading East froma road, river or long ravine etc and get lost if you reverse and travel West you will eventually cut that road, river, etc again and can find your way back.

This works well in NZ bush where there is invariably a long river, road or track etc or similar.

Also, a wise man believes his intruments and not his instinct. I have seen guys who look at a compass reading and map or a GPS reading and say I cant possibly be here and think they are somewhere else. Instantly lost!

The GPS position providing it is clear reading with good satellite signal is ALWAYS right.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I own a Garmin 60CSx and absolutely love it. So far it has been tough and dependable. I bought a Maptech program and drew in the boundries of my hunting lease on the Maptech maps. I then downloaded the coordinates as a route to the Garmin. The lease borders are now in my Garmin map. I was actually able to locate corner markers using the 60CSx. The electronic compass is a definite plus.