New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope too big?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wanting some opinions as to whether a 6.5-20x50 scope would be too much for a 20" barreled 308.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, yes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On what seems like a short and compact rifle I think something like a 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 is what would be best suited Wink.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I thought that it would be too much myself, I guess I was just looking for confirmation.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the gun's use? Is it a short bench gun? If so, then (while the 50mm objective is of no benefit) the size of the scope is irrelavent and the magnification is appropriate.

If the gun is a lightweight carbine for hunting, then both the obscene size and grossly excessive power are inappropriate and serve as a handicap to its utility.

Provided it is a hunting gun, and presumably for brush, box blind, or moderate range hunting, then what is it that you would shoot at with a .308 that can't be seen when magnified only 3 or 4 or perhaps 8 or 9 times? Field mice? Deer, elk, or bears have a vital zone that is easily identifiable at 3x magnification at 300 yards. Why overburden yourself with a scope that won't help you get your game, and conversely may have so narrow a field of view as to be useless at 25 or 30 yards when you jump a deer from his bed?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris list a 2-7 tactical that I think I am going to go with. Does any one know if this is one of the scopes that Burris has made in the Phillipines?