New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for 300 win mag scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a 300 winmag Ruger 77 mark II and mounted my Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Scope on it. I don't really like the scope that much. the recticle blurs easy and changes between shiny metalic and black. The scope doesn't stay in focus at different distances.
I like mil-dot recticles, but that it doesn't have to be mil-dot. I have messed with the adjustable scope, and I think I'ld like to keep it simple with a fixed power scope(I feel I'ld shoot more accurately if I wasn't messing with a variable zoom). What is important to me is: a clear image, clear recticle, repeatable accuracy, Click adjustments where you can use your fingers and not a coin, and preferably a side focus that doesn't have to be adjusted much. I will be shooting 200-500 yards for targets occasionally, but most of the time will be shooting 50-200 yards for practice and hunting.
I basically want a reliable, accurate, trustworthy fixed power scope scope for under $600. Any suggestions would be helpful and also suggestions for the zoom power for a fixed scope.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Classified section post by gr8fuldoug at Camera Land. He has some really good deals on Zeiss Conquests from the shot show. They are super and I think will work with your budget. I bought two and saved about $300. They have a lifetime warranty!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Zeiss Conquest in that price range. I won't buy another Leupold if there is a Conquest that is anywhere comparable. They are very clear and very reliable. Try a bunch at your local store to make sure you agree but I think they are the best bang for the buck on a serious hunting rifle.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a 4-12x40 Leupold Vx II on my 300 win and have been very pleased with it. With the LR duplex it give syou hold points for shooting out to 500 yards without being too busy. Once a reticle gets too complicated it can be confusing in hunting situations.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote