New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage scope free to a good home.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An old friend just gave me his deer rifle with a Ten Williams (Sears) scope which I replaced with something newer, lighter. it's 4 power, looks perfect except for slight rusting under where the rings were. it's probably made by Weaver; I have several old K-4s and they're all similar. My friend has had the rifle since the early 50's but doesn't remember when he got the scope, but I'm guessing it's close to that. This scope has some personality and deserves to be on an old rifle.

If someone wants this for a vintage rifle, send me a 20 for shipping and an address.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 282 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Considering the trade laws in both our countries, I'm not a contender, but suggest that if the reticle moves out of centre that scope might be worth getting. I've got an old Weaver K2.5 from 1947 and am amazed how good the eyebox and field blending is.

If as good gunsmiths assert, mounting scopes straight and stress-free is so important, the advantage of constantly centred reticles becomes a moot point. Also, with old steel tubes any bending of the scope is less likely - and with reticle-movement it less important because the mechanism is more robust. Divergence of the light path away from the optical centre (such as by bending scopes) is never good, of course, but is synonymous with constantly centred reticles because the erector set is rarely aligned with the objective's vertex.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote