posted
7 & 8 power. 42, 50 & 56mm.

Which one is the best of the best???

Cheers Smiler

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica 10 x 42 Ultravid HD.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 10x42 FL

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price being no object or within a budget?

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Price being no object or within a budget?

No budget Sir.

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally use Kahles. Before that I used Pentax and would still use them if my Kahles were broke.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Difficult to answer. What is clearest for me may well not be for you. Eyes are different enough that it makes it possible for several companies to make a living selling top grade binoculars.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Seems like the Swarovski's are the easiest to focus for me.

I can use mine for hours with no eye strain at all.

I like the 8.5 X 42's. Easier to hold still and less vibration transfers into less eye strain.

You get what you pay for with glass!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kahles are Swarovski. I use both but i think Leica Ultravids have the edge...a tiny edge at that.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a question that you have to answer for yourself using your own eyes.
Go to a shop that carries Leica Ultravids, Swarovski EL's and Zeiss FL's and try them all. 3 different people might come up with different choices and they all would be right!

I have Optics from all 3 companies. They are all so close in performance I tend to buy whichever one I can get the best deal on at the time....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of the hunting guides need to reply , id like to know which ones break the most

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used Leica BN, Leica Ultravid, and Zeiss Victory FL. And then, one day, while hunting Elk, I happened to compare the Zeiss with a Pair of Swaroviki El's that another hunter was using. I was shocked by what I perceived as better contrast and better sharpness.

Sadly, now I don't have anything as I sold the FL's and invested the money in the stock market just before it tanked.! Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica Ultravid are the best I've seen, but then I haven't seen them all.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Leica...

Posts: 52 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although the Zeiss are super clear, my vote goes to Leica.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Swarovski EL. Mine is a 10x42

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Swarovski EL 8,5x42 WB

BUT

as I have seen and hunted with the new Swarovski coming along, THIS HERE is the new star at the sky - I did not think that theey could improve THAT much with such a fantastic bino, but they realy DID!

http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...x42-swarovision.html

Mine is ordered and probably one of the first on the German delivery list...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Victory 8x42 T* FL

http://www.zeiss.com/C12568CF0...ing/$File/index.html

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
If I had the money I would go with the EL's. I bought a set of Pentax from Doug at Cameraland last year that were marked down because they were open box. My buddy has SLC 10x42's and these Pentax ($500) DCF's are so close in quality I can tell only minor differences. Out to 1000 yards I cannot tell a difference. For the money they are great glasses, but like I said if I had the money I would have gotten the EL.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shameless plug - try to search for Meopta at Cabelas.com. Those are Czech made optics and I believe they are almost as good as the big three.
Check them out.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have or have had about all of them. If were told I could only keep one pair for all types of hunting it would be Leica 8 x 32 ultravids - or the new HD version.
With your criteria; I would pick a 8 x 42 and you go test them yourself with your eyes. You cannot go wrong with any of the big 3 (Swar, Leica, Zeiss).

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also check some of the birding forums. Those folks are really annal on their optics. Should be a good source of information.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
You might also check some of the birding forums. Those folks are really annal on their optics. Should be a good source of information.

as they don´t own such nice toys like guns - what should they speak off??? Big Grin

But by the way: birders in Europe prefer also the Swaro EL binos... If they could afford...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
I LIKE SWARO 8.5x42, slc 7x42, and meopta 7x42...

THE MEOPTA IS 99.9% of the swaro in a more compact package and alot less money with a lifetime transferable warranty in the USA...

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Cabela's is thinking. Many of the reviews on their site claim that the Euros (made by Meopta) are fantastic glass, but they eye piece situation is horrific. ONe would think they would get that taken care of. (also, many of the reviewers claimed that the Meopta are quite heavy.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I've compared them all and my reference standard and the ones I judge them all by are the Nikon SE's. The very best roof prisms from Kowa, Nikon and Zeiss come close but I've yet to see anything better.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rochester NY made Bausch & Lomb's---you can put them up against the very high dollar ones--the high dollar ones might match--but wont beat.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Rochester NY made Bausch & Lomb's---you can put them up against the very high dollar ones--the high dollar ones might match--but wont beat.

Give me a break.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I've had few sets of the Rochester made B&L's and while their coatings may not be up to current best standards, the quality of their len's most certainly are. they are tough & lightweight with great resolution.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How important are coatings to optical quality?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
For several years I looked through Leica's, Swaros and Zeiss binoculars, hoping one day to have to make a decision because I would have so much money I wouldn't have any excuse not to buy.

Honestly, some days the Zeiss seemed best to me and some days the Leicas seemed best to me. Then one day I found some Leica 8X42 Ultravid HD binoculars on sale in a duty free shop. I guess the moral of the story is, all three are darn good and I took the plunge when I found the best deal.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo--"Give me a break". Honestly--have you ever used them? I suspect not. I have for 40 years or so.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf--The coatings may very well give a better reading on some sort of test by a special meter. Nothing the human eye can detect. It's sorta like a stereo that will cover frequencies humans can't hear. Do you intend to use them, or let a meter look through them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Gatogordo--"Give me a break". Honestly--have you ever used them? I suspect not. I have for 40 years or so.

I've owned a pair since before you were born. If you honestly think that there has been no improvements in optical quality glass, even leaving aside the VAST improvements in coatings, since WWII you are seriously divorced from reality. Think what you want, but facts are not on your side.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I languished over the same matter until our Zeiss rep recommended I save a few dollars and sent me a pair of 15x Conquests.

Really like them and LE price was only $500. I've compared them to Victory line and Swaro and yes there was a slight difference, but really not that much. So little that I no longer have a desire for top bino glass. And I am an optic snob!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have tried, all in 10x40/42
Leica BA and Ultravid HD
Swrovski Habicht WGA (Porro), SLC and EL
Zeiss FL Victory.

From these I have owned and used a lot in all weather conditions: Habicht, Leica BA and Zeiss FL.
For me, the Zeiss FL are, by far, the brightest and of better resolution of them all. Period!
Anyway, I presently have that Zeiss FL and a new Swarovski Habicht WGA, the Porro sistem and rubber armoured. This Habicht is, almost as good as the Zeiss. And for 1/2 the price. For me these Swarovskis H are one of the most underated hunting binos: great in optics and mechanics! I have been told very good things about the Meoptas, specially the 8x32. But I have not tried yet.

Regards.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need a tripod for the 15x in order to hold steady?

one of us
posted Hide Post
gatogordo--I seriously doubt you owned a pair before I was born. Theres lots of stuff that is not as good now as it was years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I should have said probably owned a pair since before you were born. I have used and owned the same pair since the early 50s when I was a kid. I used them until I bought my first Zeiss binos in the late 60s, 10x40s (or maybe 42s)without checking. Those Zeiss were better that the B&Ls then and the Zeiss of today are a helluva lot better than that pair of Zeiss are (which I still have). So when were you born?

There's lots of old stuff, including us, that we think are better now than newer items, but thinking (or hoping) don't make it so. Roll Eyes

I use binos just about everyday, and have well over a dozen pair, including multiple Zeiss and Leicas, and to tell me that WWII B&Ls are better than current production good glass is just pure BS.

xxxxxxxxxx