New
Find
Notify
Tools

spotting scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the need for another spotter. Mine with the combination of my eyes getting old is not allowing me to see .30 holes @ 300. I know the swaro's and Lieca's ar egood but is there one that can help me for a little less $$$? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may find the Kowa's are an excellent optics and not quite as expensive as the European mfg's but are of top quality. Very few places if any that you can purchase at a discount on Kowa's, but will say that very popular spotting scopes with long range shooters and high power shooters of all types. Might want to check them out. Have had mine now for nearly 20 years and has taken a beating all over the planet but still crisp and clear as ever. good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thinkI need a lesson on buying a Kowa. First you buy the body and then the eyepiece? Which determines final X? I looked at some sights last night and was confused, but it doesn't normally take alot to confuse me. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate your comments about the eye piece and then the body. Kowa's eyepieces(some, not all)are of the bayonet type as you insert, twist and lock them into the body making changing quite simple and easy, no threads to mangle/bugger, etc. If primary use is range/match would advise the 77mm version w/ no more than 25x LER(long eye relief) lens. Belive they now mfg. up to an 88mm and is outstanding glass, but large and bulky to handle and more expensive. With the 77mm body, 25xLER lens, U.S. price is somethingless than 1000.00 U.S. Check out S.W.F.A for optics and they may well sell them. Firm specializing in optics of all sorts. I will double check on some sources and let you know more data.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it a X thing to see bullet holes at a distance or more of a resolution thing. If I an in the black ( hopefully) I have a bitch of a time seeing holes beyond 200. I even have trouble seeing holes in the white at 250. Mine goes to 45X. I am getting to where I want to shoot farther so I really need to upgrade. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's me again!! Did some quick checking and WOW! had no idea how valuable my old Kowa set up is. Prices have definitely gone up. SWFA's prices for Kowa are about 1200-1300 for the set up I had suggested.
Again, mine is quite old and used the 25xLER lens/ with angled body for prone match shooting for couple decades now and actually have 77x fixed lens(no longer available-way more power than needed for shooting purposes) Would avoid the variable lens for shooting purposes and go with fixed power 20-25x for magnification is not what will help you see bullet holes as much as clarity and w/ super high mag. mirage kicks in real quick. Perhaps SWFA has others you may be intersted in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I am going to head to some of the stores locallt with a target I have bullet holes in and see if they will let me take a peek.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought Konus 80 mm.and have it on my coffee table right now. It is a chicom via Italy but very acceptable quality.

Check out high power guru Jim Owens sight for comments and evaluation.

www. jarheadtop.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
burlington rd, nailed it cold. if i didn't have my Leica 77 apo, and was in a money pinch i'd buy Konus from Jim Owens,dat's a 10-4...regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the Konas offer an angled eye piece version of their scope??

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Buy those targets that leave neon colors around the hole. They come in handy when shooting 17 caliber rifles. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scope City has Konus 20-60X80 with angled eyepiece on sale for $179.95 plus $11.28 shipping.. just ordered one.. range report will follow.. Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Nikon XL. Waiting for delivery