New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Maker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I stopped at the Bushnell factory outlet yesterday to look at spotting scopes, specifically to check out the Legend Ultra HD in 20x60. They want way more than the internet retailers do for it.

I asked the sales rep about sourcing of the optics, which ones from China vs. Japan. He replied that their lower end optics are from China while the Trophy(?) and above are from Japan. So, the Legend and Elite would be Japanese manufacture. Does that bear out (from people that own them)?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the Elite, yes, they are Japanese manufacture. Bushnell contracts with Light Optical Works for those. My older Trophy handgun scopes are Japanese as well.

I am not sure on the Legend.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just taking the Trophy line, the originals were made in Japan, then subsequently made in Korea, later made in the Phillipines. Now, not sure if they are made in China, but likely.

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see. I have been using a Burris Landmark spotter for some time, and had been looking hard at the Bushnell Legend spotters I am thinking that since I can afford it I may jump up higher to a Pentax or Kowa with removable eyepieces. This will primarily be used on the target range for spotting at 100-300 yards, maybe further if the range improvements come through.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Country of origin is always marked somewhere on an instrument. It may be very small and very obscure, even virtually hidden, but if you look long enough with a good enough optical aide, you should eventually find it.

Bushnell was among the first, if not THE first American brand name optics company to source riflescopes from Asia. Their founder, Dave Bushnell, was quite a pioneer in this area. Many of their early scopes, made to compete mainly with Weaver, were actually very good for the day, and I suspect were made by the optics giant Haako in Japan. Today, they might come from anywhere.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive been using Bushnells for a long time. Ive always liked the clarity of their optics. I have a Legend 3X9 and I believe that most of the Legend series are made in the Philippines, which is where mine was made.

I have a Trophy that was made in Korea. It is ok, but the Legend is better.

I have never really liked any scope made in China. However, I have a 2005 Banner 4X12 made in China that I actualy do like. It seems like an excellent scope, so far.. I almost got rid of it before even trying it because of the bad taste in my mouth that other Chinese scopes left. Im glad I didnt.. It seems to be an exception to the rule.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote