New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon prostaff ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a cheap scope to put on a cheap Stevens 200. is this scope any good ? a few friends have them with no complaints but they don't shoot as much as I do. What about the Simmons master series pro hunter ?
What is the best crosshair to use in low light hunting for black bear over bait. I have a Blr .358 with a # 4 in my Leupold 2x7x32 but I'm tempted to try one of the lighted crosshairs. What do you think ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hl, Don''t buy cheap save your money a little longer i know thats hard to do iv''e been there many times myself, i would''t buy a simmons if it saved my life, but thats me Wink... congrats on your Stevens and blr 358 nice rifles that will smoke your bear tutts sweet.... lit cross hair are damm -neat go for it..., also look at nikons buckmasters series,or what ever they make in a lit cross-hair, regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has a Millet Lighting with the lighted crosshair and it does look good but the scope is so big it just dwarfs my Blr and takes away the handling qualities. So I took it off before my last bear hunt, might put it back on to see how it does. I've shot about 25-30 bear with the blr but have shot the wrong bear a couple of times because of trying to place a black crosshair on a black hide almost at dark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hl, thats one heck of a truck-load of bear, congrats on that, please post some pictures if possiable , seems too me your handle should be GOOD LUCK,no punn intended, what caliber is your stevens,i hear there fine shooters,iv''e never hunted bear yet sure would like too some day though, regards jjmp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hl have you ever checked out the Optic -Zone they have 9 different scope manufactures that they sell, burris make a few give it a shot regards jjmp...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've bought several scopes from John and he is a great guy to deal with. I'm to dumb to know how to post pictures, but if you send me an e-m at clcbears@hotmail.com I could send some to you and if you wanted post a few for me. Thanks. Oh the stevens is a .243

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Prostaff is a good scope for the money.

I think you'll find them optically superior to many of the other cheap scopes on the market.

As far as durability is concerned, My Prostaff has taken a pounding through load development on my slug gun and it hasn't come apart yet. That gun will sure give you a punch w/ a stout reload.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hl, thanks for offering me pictures too post , i don''t know how to post them my self, so very sorry maybe someone can help us out jjmp

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hard luck:
Looking for a cheap scope to put on a cheap Stevens 200. is this scope any good ? a few friends have them with no complaints but they don't shoot as much as I do. What about the Simmons master series pro hunter ?
What is the best crosshair to use in low light hunting for black bear over bait. I have a Blr .358 with a # 4 in my Leupold 2x7x32 but I'm tempted to try one of the lighted crosshairs. What do you think ?

The Prostaff is probably the best scope available in its' price class, but I would suggest upping the ante another $50 or so to choose between the Nikon Buckmasters 3-9 or a Burris Fullfield II. I have a Buckmasters 4.5-14 SF on my Stevens 200 in .243 and I love it. With 14X available, I really don't even need my spotting scope for the 100 yard targets at the range. A friend of my son's has a 3-9 Buckmasters mounted on a Ruger .338 Win Mag, and I was impressed by the clarity and brightness of that scope, too. I have a couple of the Burris 3-9 Fullfield II Ballistic Plex reticles and they have worked fine, too. Not sure which I would choose in a 3-9 in the $175 to $200 price range.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote