Notify
Tools

Scopr ring torque
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Scope mounting rings, how tight?

Question:
Does anyone know what the torque spec on scope rings should be? Also are they different for every brand of scope? I currently am mounting a Bushnell 3x9-40

Choices:
inch pounds
ft pounds
use locktite also

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 inch pounds has served me well for many years regardless of the rings I am using.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rings to base 20-30 inch pounds.
Ring halves 15-20 inch pounds.
Seems to hold scopes pretty good.
Alaska Arms QD rings recommend a friction type tape on the inner ring halves.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you just wanted to make sure

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Warne Scope Torque Wrench for installing all of my scope rings and bases for 6 or 7 years now. It tightens at no more than 25 in-pounds and I've never had any issues with loose scopes, rings or bases.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
20 inch-pounds and you can use blue Loctite if you're so inclined. It holds things fast and also acts as an anti-seize when you go to take them off. I use it on everything.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been installing scopes forever it seems, I go by feel and its worked just fine, I think a lot of this stuff is anal...

My method is hand tight with a medium handle screw driver, then a half to full turn by tapping with a small hammer at the same time. This on the bases only with std or torx.

A lot has changed with the wonderful torks, I just tighten rings as hard as I can with a "small handle" screw driver...

Being familiar with your screw driver is important as a big heavy torx screw driver can reshape a scope tube!! shocker

I have a lbs per sq. inch screw driver but I never use it..

Some big bores I redrill and tap from 6/48 to 8/40s for insurance and use locktite or even glass bedding compound to airline proof a rifle. If I want to remove the scope and bases at some point I use a kitchen butane cooking torch on the screw and unscrew the glassed screw, easy as that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote