Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

leupold vertical adjustments
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know if I had a problem or if I created it. Iv'e got a variX 11 2x7 leupold mounted on a Ruger #1. I'm out of vetical adjustment and I'm still 8-10" high a 100 yds. I've got it mounted with a burris/weaver adapter and low Warne rings. I had it mounted on another #1 with the Ruger high mounts and never had a problem. The gun is a #1B. Any ideas or suggestions? I e-mailed Leupold a few days ago but they must be busy as I have not heard back from them. Appreciate any help.

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Have you used any other scopes on this same rifle with the same loads and sight mount? If not, it is always possible it is not the scope, but could be the rifle, the mount, or the ammo...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you wound the retical the right way?
Sounds like it may be full down (inside the scope.) The adjustment "down" means the shot will go down, but the cross-hairs go up.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to look out for on any scope is if the windage adjustment is way off to one side, it will limit the elevation adjustment. And visa-versa. Think of a small tube inside a bigger tube, that's the way a scope is built. You have the maximum amount of travel in one axis when the other axis is centered.

To check it, turn the windage adjustment in each direction to determine where you are in the range. Don't crank the screw hard against the stop or you can damage it. Don't forget to make a note of where the adjustment is currently set. That'll avoid a big red hand print on your forehead.

If that turns out to be the problem, the only cure I know of is a set of windage adjustable rings to fit the Ruger rifle. I don't remember who makes them. Redfield, Burris, B-square, one of them makes 'em. I don't think they advertise them as "adjustable". You want the ones that have a clamp screw on both sides of the ring base.

PS. Millet Angle-lock rings. I knew I'd remember as soon as I hung up.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a similar, but opposite problem with VX II 3-9x40 & a Rem 700. I was using the Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. I was finally able to get it adjusted by using the offset inserts they sell. I was about 8" low, I was able to use the .010 offset in the front ring & the .005 offset in the rear & that took care of it.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote