New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski scope question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been told by a Swarovski dealer that the glass on all Swarovski scopes is the same from z3 to Z8. The internals are different.

Is this information correct ?

Are the coating on the lenses different ?

The z3 impresses me every week when I comp it to other high quality scopes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the quality of the glass or coatings but I do know there is a vast difference in the erector-tube springs.

The Z3 uses a conventional flat spring at the front end of the tube while the Z5 and Z6 models use four small helical springs behind the rear end.

Though the Z3 spring has a small ball on the free end to limit its chattering against the outer tube when taken to the extremes of adjustment, the helical springs should obviate this problem altogether. Swaro didn't mention that aspect on their website when last I looked, though, saying instead that the coil springs behind the erector tube were to cope with recoil inertia, which they say can be 500 to 800 times the weight (if that's the word) of the tube at rest.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I don't know anything about the quality of the glass or coatings but I do know there is a vast difference in the erector-tube springs.

The Z3 uses a conventional flat spring at the front end of the tube while the Z5 and Z6 models use four small helical springs behind the rear end.

Though the Z3 spring has a small ball on the free end to limit its chattering against the outer tube when taken to the extremes of adjustment, the helical springs should obviate this problem altogether. Swaro didn't mention that aspect on their website when last I looked, though, saying instead that the coil springs behind the erector tube were to cope with recoil inertia, which they say can be 500 to 800 times the weight (if that's the word) of the tube at rest.

If glass is the same and I am using on 30/06 range rifles i will not be too worried given Swarovski excellent warranty.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the glass is the same, but the coatings are different? Don't know.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote