New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centerfire scope on .22 mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am shuffling some scopes & would like to take a Leupold VX-I 2x7x33mm off of a .270 and put it onto an A-bolt .22 mag. Can anyone tell me if this will be an issue since it is not a "rimfire" scope (parallax adjustment)?

Too much is just right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know but - You could set it on a good rest while still on the .270, and at "rf" ranges,move your head/eye around abit and see how much the cross-hairs seem to move off the target.

That will be your maximum error right there and if you can set the scope up on the RF so as to just see the full field of view (to keep your eye centered) it shouldn't be too bad.

And if you already know the grouping ability of the RF you'll soon see any difference.

I believe the scope people can easely adjust your focus if you care enough.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by six4atd:
I am shuffling some scopes & would like to take a Leupold VX-I 2x7x33mm off of a .270 and put it onto an A-bolt .22 mag. Can anyone tell me if this will be an issue since it is not a "rimfire" scope (parallax adjustment)?

At what distance will you be using your 22 Mag?
Two options; if parallax is an issue at the distances you'll be shooting, you can send the scope back to Leupold and have the parallax set for the distance you shoot; or you can center the pupil of your eye in the ocular lens on the scope and always do so, for every shot. By centering your eye pupil every time, parallax becomes a non-issue. I choose that later.. Grin

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. To be honest, this gun will get little to NO time in the field as it is more a part of the collection than it is for use. But, I like to have everything in the cabinet set up for use in case need arises.

Does anyone know what Leupold charges to adjust the parallax?

Too much is just right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an issue. Maximum parallax error is less than the likely potential accuracy of the gun. Provided that your are consistent in the way you mount the gun and in your eye placement, parallax error is reduced to a negligible amount.

If you will do the eye test that DMB recommends you will see that you have to move your head to an unusual position to get much apparent crosshair movement.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Not an issue at all. My dad uses centerfire scopes on his 22lr all the time.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts & basic reassurance. I put the scope on tonight and it seems to work very well. The 2x7x33 Leupold is a nice match to the A-bolt .22 Mag. Since this one has sights, I went with see thru mounts & I think it's a cool combo.

Too much is just right!