THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Advice on low budget scope $300 Burris E1 or Zeiss

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on low budget scope $300 Burris E1 or Zeiss
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, here's my dilemma.
I can get a new Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for $300 or a new Burris E1 4.5-14 for $300.

It will be going on a 7mm-08 and used at the range most of the time with some hunting seasonally. I prefer the 4.5-14 magnification and like the hold over reticle on the burris, but zeiss is an excellent scope for $300.

Do I sacrifice my preferred magnification and reticle for the brighter, more clear zeiss in 3-9 zoom with standard reticle.

The new burris is etched glass also, and I'm sure zeiss will have better glass, but is it really that much better. I know the other brands of $300 scopes have come a long way.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss is a better choice between the two. In an inexpensive Asian-made scope like the Burris, the greater the magnification the more problems it will exhibit. Burris factory service, which reports indicate is often required, is hit and miss, mostly miss.

But I'd suggest that you save a few bucks and buy a Leupold VX-I, which is much more user-friendly than either of those you mention. Its eye placement gives much more latitude and it won't give you that "tunnel vision" effect of either of the two you mention.

If you insist on "click" adjustments, you can get a VX-II for less than $300. If you insist on great than 9X magnification, you can get either of these Leupolds in 4-12X, which is more magnification that you'll ever need (or want) for hunting.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold is way to go,great customer service!

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Burris is not a bad scope as I use a 3x9 FF II on my 257 wby and I used to have the Zeiss Conquest and you will probably find the Conquest to be a much better scope. I run the FF II because I like the plex site for my old eyes in fading light. My my choice would be the Zeiss hands down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody still got the Zeiss Conquest for $300? I missed out on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This saturday at cabelas in rapid city

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take either scope over a VX-1. I used a VX-1 2-7 for hunting and the last hour of light I could not see the crosshairs against the deer. luckily he was 10 yards away so I was able to point and shoot where i think the crosshairs were. Not that the VX-1 isn't a reliable scope, but it really lacks when the sun is on the horizon.
14 zoom is usefull to me because most of my time is spent at the range target shooting. I think I'll just have to go with the zeiss though. Just too good of a deal.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't have to get into a foot-race with you, gohip. I'm too old for that.

My wife and I are leaving at 0430 in the morning trying to get one each of these Zeiss scopes.

I know they are not top of the line but they are surely the best $300 scope I have ever seen.

Would be even better if you SD guys didn't make us pay sales tax. Wink

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Conquest blows away the Leupold. Just get the standard duplex model, you will be happy. I took a 3-9 VX III off my 1885 25-06 to put on a 3-9 Conquest. Major difference, especially in repeatbility. You don't need 14X for any big game hunting, in fact 6X is plenty. Even for target shooting anyone can shoot as small groups with a 6X as a 14X, just look at Hunter Bench Rest groups !

If really low light is an issue, get a Trijicon 3-9 with the post (NOT the dot). Expensive but no damn batteries and you can shoot anything you can see.

If you can buy Conquests for $299, fill up your cart. The last time Cameraland had a special at even less, I bought four.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned trijicons and they are great, but that defeats the purpose of keeping a budget. At typical target shooting out here is out to 500 yards, so 14 does help shrink groups, but yeah I think I'll take the better scope for the price.

Cabelas supposedly has 40 of the conquest waiting, but I'm sure people will be trying to buy multiples. Hopefully I can get one. probably see you there jjbull, and dont worry I will have my 3 year old with me so I can't exactly sprint to the counter

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I will look for the guy with the 3-year old...you look for the guy with the old ratty green FNAWS hat.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you make it in. there was actually a huge line at the door. people were snatching up 2,3,4 scopes per person. Got one though. I think all 50 were probably gone in the first 5 minutes

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
We made good time this morning and were 3 & 4 in line. My wife and I got one scope each which is all we had gone for. I too saw people with multiples.

We looked for a 3-year old but closest I came was a guy loading a child into a car-seat as we were leaving...maybe we can meet another time.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I hope you're happy with your scope. Don't feel bad about not getting something higher powered. Your calibre doesn't really need it and there's some downside with a 4.5-14: if something pops up nearby it's harder to find; and having to adjust the parallax becomes a pain in the butt.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, there were multipul guys with green hats also. I got the scope out to the range and am happy with the decision. the crosshairs very fine in the middle and the clarity is so good it makes up for not having 14 power.