Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-3 vs. Trijicon AccuPoint
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I've always been a die-hard Leupold fan, but I also never handled a Trijicon AccuPoint until recently. I was at a gun show and looked through a couple AccuPoints....I was amazed at the brightness and clarity of the glass.

Question:
Which scope would you choose for an "all-around" rifle that will be used in low-light situations from time to time?....and why?

An illuminated reticle is not a necessity....but is obviously part of the package with the Trijicon. I'm mostly concerned with durability and light-gathering capability of the glass.

Choices:
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm (30mm tube)
Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56mm (30mm tube)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I have both and the Trijicon gets moved around a lot gun to gun because we like it so well and it's big 5-20x50 brother.

That being said a Zeiss 3-12x56 30mm gets used a lot more.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
I have both and the Trijicon gets moved around a lot gun to gun because we like it so well and it's big 5-20x50 brother.

That being said a Zeiss 3-12x56 30mm gets used a lot more.

Yes, I imagine the Zeiss is the most used....but it is double the price as well. (unless you are referring to the Conquest, which I used to own, and do not care for) I was trying to compare two equally priced scopes.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't choose either of those for an all around rifle. They both might be great for shooting from an elevated blind or something like that, but I wouldn't want to tote them around or count on them for getting off a quick shot.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I wouldn't choose either of those for an all around rifle. They both might be great for shooting from an elevated blind or something like that, but I wouldn't want to tote them around or count on them for getting off a quick shot.

Haha...okay. Well I guess you're entitled to that opinion. However, I'm not going with anything less than a 50mm objective and a 30mm tube. This rifle will likely be a .300 Win Mag with 24"+ medium-heavy barrel....I am not concerned about the weight. It will be a gun that goes on lots of afternoon whitetail hunts, exotic hunts, elk hunts, and hopefully a couple PG hunts to Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll have a hard time beating the reticle on the Trijicon for late late evening hog shooting.

Just a guess that you might do that being in Texas and all.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Both of my Trijicons have mil dots.

Nope your onto it, the $2400 German Ziess not the $1000 American one, thought I got it on special for $1200 close out 3 years ago. Has a rail on it, hard to sell to Americans.

You can't go wrong with Trijicons 30mm scopes.

You could set up the 3.5-10x56 mil dot using the "poor man's horse" system since you can't dial for distance. You would have to study up on this one as it's rather involved to write up a post about.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was very surprised when I looked through the trijicon - the mildot with that colored dot in the center is the best reticle I have ever seen and the glass is very nice. It was easily better than a new Minox Z5 head to head. I like the Leupold but prefer the Trijicon.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another consideration is the Zeiss Duralyt , its not in the Conquest line, may be a bit above your $ range. I bought a SHOT show demo for just over a grand. My lighted reticle model works great, its just sort of funky-looking...