Find
Notify
Tools

Question about buying a new scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted
I am buying a new Zeiss VM/V scope for my rifle. I can either buy one with a 50mm objective or a 56mm objective. What is the added benefit of the 56 over the 50. I already have the 50 for one of my rifles. I like the scope so much, I am wanting to put a new one on my 30-06.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey uplandhunter

I have the 2.5x10x50 VM/V T* and load for a couple of friend's rifles that have the 3x12x56 Zeiss. IMO, there are several pros and cons to consider. The 2.5x10x50 has a wider field of view, is lighter, is shorter and can be mounted lower on the rifle. Also IME there is less parallax with the 10x scope than with the 12x scope, although Zeiss has very little parallax to begin with.

The 3x12x56 should theoretically have a better twilight factor than the 10x.

IMO the 2.5x10/50 is a better scope and if I had to make that choice, that's what I would choose.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote