New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Release mounts for a M70 Mag Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love my 300 H&H, on which I have mounted a Leupold 6x42 with Leupold QR rings. Why QR - well because I wanted to be able to switch to a lower power scope or no scope at all and QR are the only rings and bases available from Leupold that will fit the pre-64 Mag action on which the 300 H&H is built. The problem is when I remove the scope I can not see the current stock iron sights.

I have always wanted a Lyman 48 on a rifle and so I am thinking about switching bases so that I can remove the 6x and use the Lyman. I do realize that I will have to modify the stock to accomodate the Lyman but I don't really want to make any other modifications, especially if they involve tapping into the receiver. I guess my basic question is what QR system with work with a Lyman and will not require drilling into the metal. Suggestions?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,

To use your Lyman 48 you will need a side mount like the Griffith & Howe side mount. However, the side mount installation requires professional installation and drills into the metal on the off-side of the receiver. Most people believe a side mount de-values an action. A side mount base is difficult to remove once installed. In the early days of scope manufacturing, side mounts were common because of the back-up need for an apperature sight.

Take a look at the Talley website or better yet give them a call. Talley manufactures an aperature sight that fits their QD bases. You may have to save your Lyman 48 for a M70 chambered in .458 Win Mag.

Talley Manufacturing is a highly regarded best quality manufacturer of rings & bases.

Regards,

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what I did on a pre-64 375 is to use the Warne steel Maxima bases, which are compatible to the Leupold QRW or any weaver ring. Then get a gunsmith to mill a channel down the middle so you can clearly see the sights, similar to the original aluminum Weaver bases

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy Talley QR rings and the bases that have the peep in the rear base. You will kill two birds with one stone, won't have to drill a precious Pre-64 action and will have some of the best rings money can buy................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I did some shopping and I think I'll pass on a peep. Called Tally today and got a look at their offering. I am not real sure that I like the set up. Their peep is adjustable for windage but not for drop.

Thanks for the advice and direction.

Doublegun

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Their peep is adjustable for windage but not for drop.
Doublegun

Different height front sites accomplish this...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote