Find
Notify
Tools

Are 10/22's hard on scopes? Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
My Ruger 10/22 target model just trashed it's second Leupold scope. First one was an old long tube M8x3 scope. The reticle broke on that scope. The other day I was shooting the gun with a long tube M8x4 power scope and the reticle broke and what appears to be an internal lens is rattling around inside the scope. Leupold fixed the first one and the second is now on it's way back to the factory. I just seems strange to me that both scopes failed on a 22 rimfire.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2319 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I both shoot scoped 10/22's with no problems.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1072 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You're holding it wrong, pull it into your shoulder :-).....

I have a $39.00 barske 30mm 1-4x30mm on a 10/22. The scope is a POS but I never has a problem with it.

Posts: 6441 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I just put a cheap Cabela's pine ridge scope on the 10/22. I'll use that until I get the Leupold back. The funny thing is I have other Leupolds on various rifles from a .223 Rem to a 416 Rigby and none of them have crapped out like the ones on the 10/22. Of course, I shoot the 22's more often than the bigger guns but it still seems strange to me that two Leupolds would go belly up on the same 22.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2319 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
My Ruger 10/22 target model just trashed it's second Leupold scope. First one was an old long tube M8x3 scope. The reticle broke on that scope. The other day I was shooting the gun with a long tube M8x4 power scope and the reticle broke and what appears to be an internal lens is rattling around inside the scope. Leupold fixed the first one and the second is now on it's way back to the factory. I just seems strange to me that both scopes failed on a 22 rimfire.

It's more likely to be a problem with the mounts rather than the model of the rifle.
Or it could just be a coincidence.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through 2 BSA Sweet 22 scopes the same way with my 10/22. Got my money back from Midway (store credit) and got one of the now discontinued Redfield rimfire 2x7 scopes with tactical dials, and it has worked very well.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised your .22 broke the reticle on an M8 3x scope, Labman, as I've been told that model was among Leupold's strongest.

Metal reticles can break on any kind of scope, of course, even the old types I like - but it generally takes a fair bit of recoil to do it.

That said, self-loaders and airguns are said to be hard on scopes because they have inertias working in the opposite direction to the initial recoil impulse usually most destructive and the focus of makers' efforts.

I don't suppose you use a Led Sled or other rest that would thwart the minuscule recoil of the rifle?

That loose lens may mean the erector tube spring has broken or dislocated, something most likely to happen if you have taken the turret adjustment to the edge of the clicks. Could that be a possibility?

Posts: 5027 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had El Paso Weavers, Leupold, Redfield, Perma-Center, and Bushnell/Tascos - all fixed powers - on our youth group 10/22s and broken none.

Not hard to see autos - especially unlocked breech blowback guns - would give a different recoil signature than a bolt. FALs and roller-delayed HKs are supposedly tough, as well. Airguns seem to be the worst offenders.

Things break, though. Something in the erector system loosened up on my M8-8x. Used on .22 CF bolt guns only. Cost me just shipping to Leupold.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have had God only knows how many 10/22 here through the years.

All had scopes from different manufacturers.

Shot thousands and thousands of times.

Never had any problems whatsoever!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67561 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't suppose you use a Led Sled or other rest that would thwart the minuscule recoil of the rifle?

Nothing behind the gun but my shoulder. The majority of rounds were shot while I was standing and using shooting sticks. Cheap practice for upcoming African hunts. Base is a weaver and rings are also weaver. The ones with screws only on one side. I normally don't use these rings but had the set laying around and figured they would be OK for a 22.

I don't recall the adjustments on either scope being at the end of their range. I can't check now since the M8-3x now serves as a backup scope for my 416 rigby which is zeroed in and heading to Zim with me tomorrow on an Elephant hunt. The M8-4x has been sent to Leupold for repair.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Curiouser and curiouser. Labman, to save me going through what I think it's all about again, here, PM me your address and I'll pop a copy of my book in the mail.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thank you. PM on the way. Off early tomorrow morning for a hunt in Zimbabwe so I won't be back online until 9/14 at the earliest.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have had a 2x EER Leupold scope mounted in the same Weaver rings on my 404 since the early 80's and never had a problem. Shoots consistent and accurate as the day it was fitted.

Where on the scope are your rings fitted, is it possible one is fitted over the position of the reticule and is crushing the tube. It is a known issue if mounting a ring over the recessed front lense on some scopes, ask Nakihunter about that!!

I like the original style Weaver rings over any other as a scope never slips in them and I have never lapped Weavers. I do not go overboard on tightening the two screws on the one side of the steel strapped ring, always have a reasonable gap left when the screws are snug. If you somehow managed to tighten the screws without stripping to leave no gap I image the scope tube could crush?

Posts: 3882 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them with who knows how many thousands of rounds through them. Never had a problem.

Posts: 12025 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original models, given to me by Steve Vogel, who was Was married to Bill Ruger’s daughter.

A great gentleman, I used to stay in his house.

That rifle was used by my father.

He had it in his truck all the time. And not treated very gently.

It was in such a bad state, I replaced the original barrel, and stock.

The action is the original.

We used to shoot that rifle non stop on some days, practically all day long.

I gave it to my daughter Hessa. And the rifle is used now by everyone in our range.

Never had a problem.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67561 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot gobs of jackrabbits with a guy that had a 10-22 with a Bushnell 3x-9x scope on it. My luck with newer Bushnell has been horrible, but he never had a problem. If Leupolds are failing I'd like to think a coincident.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Remove the scope base and check for oil in either liquid or congealed state.

One rifle I know of destroyed a Bushnell Banner 4x because the base (floating atop an oiled receiver) was shifting around under recoil, magnifying the forces on the scope.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you. PM on the way. Off early tomorrow morning for a hunt in Zimbabwe so I won't be back online until 9/14 at the earliest.

The book should arrive soon after that.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I must be snake bit when it comes to Leupold. I mentioned earlier in my post that my old M8x3x serves as a backup scope for my 416 Rigby. When I previously got this scope back from Leupold I sited it in on the 416 and it has just sat in a box until my recent trip. I wrapped the scope in one of those Leupold green cloths and placed it inside my hard gun case with my rifles. Never touched it on the trip. While unpacking this morning I picked up the scope and heard something rattling. Looked through the scope and it appears that two internal lenses have come loose. All while not even on a rifle. No signs of damage to the rifle case or to anything else in the case. Nothing appeared to have shifted in the case. Rings on the scope are not over the lens. I think I'm cursed.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Unless you asked Leupold for a rebuild, they would only address whatever issue you identified for service.

Send it back sgain. Then sell it. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a powerline air rife scope on my rws..... they are inexpensive and the optics might not be what you are used to but i hasn't come apart in about ten years on the magnum air rifle that is known to trash scopes..... i have one on my savage .17 rimfire bolt action rifle........ might be the way to go..... they do have high end scopes for magnum air rifles too though.......

obama is breathing too long...................................................................

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must be snake bit when it comes to Leupold. I mentioned earlier in my post that my old M8x3x serves as a backup scope for my 416 Rigby. When I previously got this scope back from Leupold I sited it in on the 416 and it has just sat in a box until my recent trip. I wrapped the scope in one of those Leupold green cloths and placed it inside my hard gun case with my rifles. Never touched it on the trip. While unpacking this morning I picked up the scope and heard something rattling. Looked through the scope and it appears that two internal lenses have come loose. All while not even on a rifle. No signs of damage to the rifle case or to anything else in the case. Nothing appeared to have shifted in the case. Rings on the scope are not over the lens. I think I'm cursed.

How does it look from each end, Tom? I dropped some binos once and had a lens turn sideways but can't imagine which lenses let go in your scope unless the entire erector system has come loose.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Only looked through the scope from the ocular end. Didn't think about looking from the front. I could see two lenses flopping around inside the scope. The scope is all packed up and will be sent to Leupold tomorrow. The really weird thing is the problem happened while the scope wasn't on a rifle. Just in my gun case for the long flight to Zim and back. The two other Leupolds that were on my rifles were fine.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot many 10's of thousands of rounds through several 10-22s never had a scope problem

Did have the barrel screw shoot loose. after who knows how many rounds

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I received the M8-4x back from Leupold. They did the following:

Reworked Erector System
Replaced reticle
Replaced windage adjustment
Replaced elevation adjustment

Hopefully it will be good to go. I'm going to use a different set of rings to mount it on my 10/22. Still waiting to hear about my M8-3x which I mentioned in my other thread.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom,
God knows what exactly went wrong with it but the stuff you've mentioned there goes to the guts of the problem with modern scopes: having a mini-me scope suspended inside is just asking for trouble.

Have a look at my pictures on chapter 81 of the 458 Winchester Magnum thread in the Big Bores forum. These show how German makers used to hold reticles in place 50 years ago. The erector set, on the other hand, did not move at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that your scope spent time on a really hard-kicker at some time in the past? I buy virtually all of my scopes (almost exclusively Leupolds) used, so I really have no idea, other than looking at their cosmetic condition, as to how they were used or abused.

Regardless of the scopes history, all man-made and mass-produced products are subject to defects. Leupold is one of the more careful and competent scope manufacturers, but just like any other set of humans, they can screw up every now and then. The fact that a Leupold can fail (even when no proximate cause can be identified) is not surprising, but their miniscule failure rate is quite gratifying.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I bought that scope used at an auction so I have no idea as to it's history. I've had it for at least five years and it's spent all that time on my 10/22.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought that scope used at an auction so I have no idea as to it's history. I've had it for at least five years and it's spent all that time on my 10/22.

That's the magic pudding, Tom Smiler
As in the children's story, no matter how much you eat, it's always there.

It is my belief the lifetime, transferable, no-questions-asked warranty is how modern scope makers cope with the basically flawed concept of constantly centred reticles.

Pecar used to offer a 25-year warranty on their scopes 50 years ago, but I suspect they rarely had to make it good.