New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best value in low fixed power - less than 4x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey All, the title says it all. I'm looking for a decent fixed power scope with magnification less than 4X. All I've really come up with is the Leupold Scout. Seems to sell around $280. I was hoping I could get a decent low power fixed for less than that.

Anything I'm missing?

One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
Less than 4x is a tough bill to fit for a good value priced scope. Leupold also makes the 2.5x Ultralight for around $270, which will give you about 4.5 - 5" of eyerelief. What application are you planning for the scope?

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going on a 308 for close in deer hunting, 20 to 100 yard shots for the most part, 150 at the very outside. I've got a Leupold 4x. I guess I'll just put that on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWK,

I started with fixed 4X's way back in the 50's for the woods and did fine. While some touted the 2.5X then I liked what I had. With practice and entering some running deer matches I found the 4X excellent even up close.

These days I would not buy another fixed scope for a deer rifle. I would get a 2.5-8 or 2-7 variable which is what I have done many times over. I still have the old fixed 4X's however but they seem like a disadvantage to me.

The 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest is a superb scope.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look at these, they seem to meet your requirements. Burris FFll 2.5x20, Pentax 2.5x25 and Sightron 2.5x32. These were designed for shotguns but that just means the parallax is set at about 75 yards. I found these all listed at Midway. I have a couple of 1.5x6 scopes that I use for my woods rifles.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can usually find a used Weaver K-3 or K-2.5 on ebay for reasonable money and in good condition. They are "bullet-proof" scopes. The optics may not be quite as bright as newer products, but I've never had one fail to deliver for me.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weaver used to make a 1x3 a couple years back. Parallax is probly set at 75 yards. It may be suitable for your needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry did'nt see the fixed power need. Weaver does have a short 4x though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
You can usually find a used Weaver K-3 or K-2.5 on ebay for reasonable money and in good condition. They are "bullet-proof" scopes. The optics may not be quite as bright as newer products, but I've never had one fail to deliver for me.

+1