Find
Notify
Tools

Decisions, decisions ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Looking for a low-power variable to go to Namibia in my dad's hands on a 375. This will be back-up on my Elephant and maybe his primary on Leopard and Oryx.

Might then put it on his deer gun (Rem 700Ti 300 SAUM) for use in Allegheny Mtns where we regularly hunt.

Trying to decide between:
Minox Z5 1.5-8x32
vs.
Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20
vs.
Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20

I am a big Leupold fan and have never been dissatisfied with any of their products over the past 5 decades.

The Minox has a 32mm objective so conceivably better light-gathering than the 20mm objectives on the Leupolds. I've no experience with Minox.

Neither my father nor I have ever used an illuminated reticle or dot. The reason for consideration now is his 72 year old eyes (and my 50) might benefit particularly for deer in brush. The Leopard will be a day not night hunt but you never know if he'll come at dawn or dusk so the illuminated reticle might be of benefit.

All are around the same price and similar weights give or take an ounce.

So, keep it simple and go with the tried and true Leupold 1.5-4x20 or one of the others?

Thanks

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're probably not shooting eles in poor light conditions so the 32mm or red dot are not a factor, but that being said i really love the illuminated dot (just the dot, nothing more) for low light

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another scope you might consider is the Leupold 1.75-6X with its 32mm objective. It offers a field of view that is fully adequate for large game at "intimate" distances, along with enough magnification for plains game at any distance. The 32mm objective yields the maximum usable exit pupil (about 6mm for "older" eyes) at near maximum magnification. And even for a young squirt whose pupils will dialate to as much as 7mm, you can crank that scope up past 4.5X before theoretically losing any image brightness.

I'm leary of lighted reticles because the light from the retical can cause your pupil to restrict, thus make your target less visible. They also require an additional "system" to be integrated into the scope, thus increasing its complexity, weight, and cost while making it a bit more prone to problems.

Instead of a lighted reticle, I recommend a heavy duplex-type crosshair. The four heavy posts frame the point of impact for snap shooting, being easy for the eye to pick up. The thin center crosshairs are still fine enough for precise aiming at distant targets.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I had the Leupold 1.5 X 5 on a 375 for Leopard. It had a std duplex. Not very good at dusk or dawn. I switched to a Kahles 1.5 X 6 with Ill cross in center. Much better scope but much larger price.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'd be going with the Leupold VX-3.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend iron sights for elephant, the reason is a scope shoots low based on the difference in the height of the scope plane to the barrel..I have seen many brain shots missed using scopes on elephant rifles..Shots are 10 to 20 yards..

If I were forced to use a scope on a elephant, it would be a 1x Weaver or a 1x4 Leupold and I would keep it on 1X..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'm 42 years old - I've worn glasses since I was about 7. My eyes pretty much suck. I do NOT like the Minox Plex reticle. I tried it and it was just too fine for my eyes to pick up readily.

Leupold is a much more huntable reticle. I recommend the 1.5-5x 20mm scope with a heavy duplex. The reticle just stands out magnificently.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote