New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold RX-1 or Nikon or Leica
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to pick up a rangefinder for casual use. I will use it on my occasional western hunts, but not for the bulk of my eastern big woods whitetail hunting.
I am a big Leupold fan, but recall in a product review that the Leupold was good but complicated, and the Nikon and Leica were good and the Leica very simple, but expensive.
Can anyone tell me their experiences with these models? Thanks for your $.02!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica, and it is about as straight forward and simple as I can imagine. It is very accurate, confirmed in great detail with some of my surveying crew with extemely accurate (and expensive) surveying intstruments which give EXACT distances. This out to 800 yards or so.

A friend has the Leupy, and it works fine, it isn't as bright optically, but is simple enough, and seems accurate, though not confirmed as my Leica has been. I've heard there are warranty issues with Leica, I've had mine long enough that I don't worry about that anymore....

If budget is a concern, I'd probably just go the Leupy or Nikon ( I prefer the way the Nikon looks--when looking through it) if a few $ don't matter as much, go the Leica.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most rangefinders are pretty much equal in accuracy because, just like chronographs, the electronic "guts" are pretty much the same. Again, like chronographs, the difference comes in the detection system. The better ones, like the Leica, will give you measurements on less reflective targets and at longer distances.

My main experience is with a relatively inexpensive Bushnell 800. It does well enough on reflective targets, but simply won't respond to non-reflective targets at 400+ yards. The Leica has a great reputation, and I'm sure would be the best performer of the three you mention.

Although I essentially won't even consider using anything other than Leupold scopes, I think the rangefinder carrying that brand is made in China, like their latest series of Wind River binoculars. I would expect it to be more in the class of the Bushnell than the Leica. The "elevation compensating" feature of the Leupold is a solution looking for a problem. At least it's not butt-ugly and goose-silly like that scope with the notch out of the objective.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon that I am replacing with the Leica CRF 1200 this year. The furthest I could fange an antelope on last years hunt in Wyoming was 307 yards. I have tried a friend's Leica, and it does way better. So on performance I would go with the Leica.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Leica. I have the eary version in 800 and am very happy with it. If I were buying today, it would be the CRF 1200. Have never read one complaint about Leica's rangefinders, but have with the ones you are looking at buying.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want one of the Leica rangefinders and have been looking at Cameraland in NY. They have some listed in the classifieds. I own a Bushnell and a Leupold RX-II. The Bushnell I have relegated to bow hunting as it does not perform well at long range. The Leupold elevates my heart rate when I use it. I finally have it "set" but it took a rather long time for me to get used to it and figure it out. You really have to pay attention to the instructions. There are several features that turn off when you turn another one on. Too, it takes some getting used to . To tell the truth, I really don't need all of the features that it offers. It seems to work well, set up can be a bitch though.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote