Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a 270 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I've got an older 270 Weatherby Mark V and the 40 year old Redfield 3x9 I had on it has finally bit it. So I'm looking for a new scope. I want at least 14 power on the high end because we have a 1000 yard range that's opening up and no more than 4.5 power on the low end. I've just started looking. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got a Nikon Monarch 4-16 with BDC reticle which is clear enough but I've taken it off my 270WSM because of its size, tunnel vision and the necessity of constantly cranking the parallax adjustment.

If I had your rifle, I'd look for one of Weatherby's old scopes, though I think the biggest was a 2.75-10 (a range exceeding the 3x multiple standard in those days). Those scopes, made in Germany by Hertel & Reuss, were reportedly of excellent quality.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend the Leuopld VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR scope. This is a 30mm scope with a side focus.

The 30mm tube is stout, and I mount them in Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases, makes for a good set up.

This scope has good eye relief and a great power range, being a 4.5-14. I have shot plenty of game with this scope without ever taking it off of 4.5, but that 14 power is there if you need it.

I like the models with the Boone and Crockett reticle. It is simple to use and works well.
The only negative about the Boone and Crockett system is that it works best on 14 power.

At one time I did not think I wanted any 30mm scopes, but after trying one I now own 7 of the darned things. (all 4.5-14 Leupolds)

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-4 on the Leupold 4.5x14x50 LR. I have 4 of them, 3 with the ILL Duplex.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of partial to the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X with the illuminated reticle.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have one of the VX-III Leupold 4.5-14x50mm AO scopes on my original BDL in 270 I gave my son. It's a very good scope. I'm looking at the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. Thoughts?

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Zeiss 4.5 x 14 conquest rapid z 800 scope. I know from experience that the reticle comes in perfect for that caliber. Very good scope for the money.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I just bought one frome Camera Land on sale (plus a $100 rebate)!

Regards,

Chuck