Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint scope on Ar15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted
I'm looking at getting a Bushmaster Varminter and now am curious to some suggestions for optics. I'm a fan of Leupold and Nikon but not terribly picky as long as the quality is good and price is right. Anyways, what size would be suggested. I don't want a mall ninja rig, something to plink varmints.

I was leaning towards a target type scope but without having seen one mounted up I'm thinking it might be to high of magnification and a little oversized. Would a Leupold FX-? in the 6-8 power work well?

Once again all suggestion are welcomed, thank you.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello rainman,

The 6-8 power range is a little on the low side for you as a varminter. I think a 4-12 or a 6.5-20 power will serve you best over the long haul.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a 4-14 on 1 ar, a 6-18 on another and a 6-24 on a 3rd all mounted for PD shooting. I think you'll want the extra magnification for the varminter

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction gentlemen.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that varminter has a flat top receiver. If so you'll need to raise the up at least 7/8 inch minimum for proper eye alignment. The cheapest highest rings are Millet at 1.025 inches tall, but most the fellows into building AR flat tops go with a rail riser or combo of a rail riser and extention. A real good one and also cheap is Yankee Hill Machine. Search for them in Google and look in the rail mount section. If you use a riser rail your rings will have to be high rings.

Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
rainman, here is a picture of one of my varmit AR's with a Leupold 8.5-25X50 LR/T mil-dot setting in Talbott QD mounts. The Talbott is a bit overkill price wise but is without a doubt the very best QD type mount made. Badger or Leupold Mk4 rings will work great.
I like the Talbott because it is quite like the claw mount and very fast to remove and repeats zero every time due to the lock up.
Good luck with the project

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote