Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski 4-12x50 AV
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
AT the dealer yesterday and he shows me one of these when I am looking at a 3.5-10x42 . Anyone have one of these scopes and if so how do they like them and what kind of rifle are they mounted on . Thanks

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sempre, I have 2, one on a Sauer 202 in .270 Win and one on a SAKO 75 in .270 WSM. They work great, and I personally prefer the 50mm objective, and like the extra bit of magnification. I shot a few antelope way out there with the SAKO, the reticle made it a snap.

Good Shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite! I have them on two Dakota rifles, a 300H&H and a 280.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It and the 3-10x42 AV are my two favorite scopes for Lightweight and all purpose rifles. I especially like both of them with the TDS reticle. I have several of each on Kimbers, Berretta Mato's, Dakota's and Sako's, in Calibers from 270 Win to 300 Mags...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies..this is a no brainer as its just a few bucks more then the 3-10x42

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-10 on a 30/06, and three 4-12 TDS on 300 RUM, 270 WSM, 7mm/08. For some reason I decided i need TDS Reticles, BY the way the 4-15X 50 mm fits in the Talley Low Rings on all my Rifles so far. Talley's website said to use the Medium Rings. I tried this first with one rifle because I do not like the higher rings.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I have 2, one on a 7 STW and 1 on 375 H&H, The H&H has the TDS reticle and I found it too busy for hunting and I am switching to the 4A reticle

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 4-12 is on a Remington .375 HH.

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Well I just picked it up after spending more time then really necessary deciding between it and a 3-10x42. It's going on a Sako 300 wsm . For those that have one mounted on a Sako are you using low or medium rings. I am trying to swap factory rings and bases for SS bases and rings from Beretta and the rings(medium) are on back order. Smiler gotta love that Beretta customer service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sempre, the lowest Warnes (they call mediums) will let it clear your 300 WSM just fine. The low Leupold ringmounts will do it. If you are talking the Optilocks, maybe DJ Paintless can tell you, I know he uses them at least some, I'm confident the medium Opti's would work though, if not the low ones......

Talley low rings on their bases will do it.

Good Shooting--Don

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Don, I should have my SS rings and bases from Beretta shortly and I will find out one way or another. I may even try the new Leupold dovetail base with QR feature

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sempre, if you go the Leupy route with the dual dovetails, let me know. I am curious to learn how they function.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You almost always want to use low Optilock rings. I had a Swaro PH 2.5-10x56 in low rings on my M-75 338! These are all in low Optilocks;

The very top gun in the top pic is a 300 WSM with a Swaro 4-12x50 in low SS Optilocks...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
DJ ..the pictures are invaluable thanks a bunch for posting them. Looks like you have the Long bases on the WSM.

Don. based on these pictures the Opti-locks look perfect for the app.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sempre, they sure do. It's interesting how often a set of 'low' mounts will let a 50mm objective clear the barrel.

DJ, what is the black band on the end of several of your stainless barrels?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The black electrical tape is to cover the end of the barrel to keep out potential obstructions when in the field. DJ turned me on to this and it is a good idea. No change in impact or velocity, the bullet blows right through.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote