New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Predators or Peregrine? Ups and downs of both? What say the experts? The Steiners I've been familiar with in the past have been great optics.

Thanks,

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you want to use them for. The Predators have the green game sensing lense coating that enhances browns and reds BUT you give up a bit of briteness with this coating. The Peregrines on the other hand are designed for the most natural color reproduction and highest light transmission. Personaly I would choose the Peregrines over the Predators. One word of advice, Steiner does make some excellent products but some crappy ones as well. Also their warranty and repair service can leave a lot to be desired. I own several Steiner binoculars BUT I would ONLY buy the models with the mil-spec rated 30 year warranty and stay away from any of the non-milspec 10 year models. I believe all the Peregrine models are 30 year warranty but NOT all of the Predator series are.

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Hi I have a steiner nighthunter 8x30 and it is very bright. I am very pleased with it, great at dusk, but I have no comparison with the predators og peregrine.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a set of predator pro 10x26. the first pair fogged up asfter 1 season. i sent them back and steiner sent me a new pair. good service, but not what i need in a bino. you can buy them from me cheap if you want them.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sherpi:
Hi I have a steiner nighthunter 8x30 and it is very bright. I am very pleased with it, great at dusk, but I have no comparison with the predators og peregrine.

I also have the mil-spec Nighthunter 8x30s, they are very good quality. BUT I previously had the less expensive Predator 8x30 and the plastic eyepiece adjusting tabs broke twice on them, VERY poor quality as are any of the similar 10 year warranty non-milspec 8x30 models like the Military Marine, Safari, and Navigator, these particular 8x30 models are all built the same way and share the same flaw, VERY fragile eyepiece assembly, avoid them like the plague.