New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopold Counterfits
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure if this ever came up on here but I remember a while back about some chinese Leopold copies that were on the market. Seems the only way to check them was to call leopold with the serial number to see if original or not. Does anyone have any insight on this item.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read about counterfeit Leupolds. I beleive the Leupold website has information on this as well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does indeed. Only a couple of models so far, though.
http://www.leupold.com/tactica...counterfeit-warning/

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's spelled Leopold...
There's your sign.
Good luck

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Thought I would update this thread.

The copies are getting worse (or better, depending on your perspective!).

Regarding the Mark 4 counterfeits, the Leupold site indicates they are missing the Leupold "L" logo on the side focus cap...not any more!

I have one sitting on my table that not only says LEUPOLD MARK 4 on it, but also has the logo on the side focus knob.

Bastards!

This is the first time I ever bought a scope from other than a dealer or a friend. Learned my lesson!

After some discussion with the seller, I was able to get a discount...down to what the scope is probably worth (about one-sixth what the Leupold is worth).

Be careful out there!

FYI - I did not buy said scope off AR-Bay! I have had a fair number of transactions here and they have all been good.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I saw one at a gun auction about a year ago. I wasn't sure that it was a fake at the time, but things just didn't seem right. I made notes of what I thought looked wrong and checked them against the info. on Leupolds website when I got home. Everything matched exactly. The scope was a fake and some poor soul paid $800 for a junk scope.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote