Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a 35 Whelen.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted
I was interested in finding out what sort of scope people recommended for a Remington 700LH 35 Whelen. I wanted to use the rifle as a carry rifle to shoot asiatic buffalo, pigs, kangaroos and the odd deer.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats an odd Deer?????Does it have 3 testicles??? Roll EyesI would go with a Straight 4 or 6 power. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea!
One rifle for odd deer, another for normal deer. Wink

I go along with straight 4 or 6 power, or 2.5/3 power if ranges are shorter.

Or 1-4x, 1.5-5x variable.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob
I have been trough the same head scratching myself for my M77/35 Whelen .
Ended up with a Nikon Monark Gold, 1,5-6x42 with German # 4 reticle.

Pros: 4" eye relief, good optics, low 1,5 for close work, high 6 for shots at longer ranges, 42 mm for good low light perfomance, ok price.

Cons: none so far

I used to have a Leupold VariXIII 3,5-10x50 on this rifle, but neded lower magnification for close cover / dense brush stalking.
The Nikon was just what I was looking for.
So far so good thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold VX-II 2x7 on this same rifle and have been happy with it. Used for deer at less than 150 yards and wild pig at slightly less distance.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I think you would be happy with a good fixed 4 power scope...don't think you could possibly go wrong with the leupold 4x or zeiss conquest 4x32...

Cheers and good hunting.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 1.5x5's on all my whelens and never had a time I wished I had something more. Knocked over bears at 200yards with it and wouldnt blink an eye to shoot at further ranges.

This would be my choice IMO.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Bushnell 2 X 7 Elites on my 35 Whelen Rem 7600 & my Ruger 77 MK2 LH 35 Whelen Imp.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 35 Whelen wears a Leupold Vari X-III 1.5-5 and I've been happy with it.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold VX-II 2-7X on my Ruger and am quite pleased.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
1-4, 2-7, fixed 4 power. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob from down under:
I was interested in finding out what sort of scope people recommended for a Remington 700LH 35 Whelen. I wanted to use the rifle as a carry rifle to shoot asiatic buffalo, pigs, kangaroos and the odd deer.

1.5x5x20mm VIII
1.75x6x32mm VIII
2.5x8x36mm VIII
Your choice all at $399.99 U.S.

The Leupold VIII in 1.75x6 with 32 mm objective would be my perfect choice.

1.75 power is good for close up shots in the swamps around here for bear (250gr) and the 6 power end of it should be sufficient for a good distance on a long white tail shot (200Gr).
I like the 2.5x8 x36mm for my 7mm08, it gives the best of both worlds: low power for close quarter and higher power for a large opening (whitetail).

I would stay away from a straight tube 20mm objective. (1.5x5)
At least in the north east under the shady tree’s even in autumn it does not produce enough light transmission early morning and dusk.

I’ve had both Leupold and Burris 20mm objective scopes and even though they both have multi coated clear glass quality I have learned to dislike them for not enough field of view.

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest with German #4 Reticle.

There the best bang for the buck in optics...............to get better you need to step up to Zeiss Victory, S&B, Swarvo etc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for all the input. I've learned a lot by going through all the posts.
I appreciate people taking the time to share their thoughts.
I ended up getting a Pecar 1.5-6x42. I brought it second hand. I thought it would need a service because it was made in the late 1980's. I mounted it on the rifle and I'm really pleased with the clarity and function of the scope at the range.
Next task is to check how it goes hunting.
It cost $301.00 AUD it came from Texas.

Regards,
Bob.