New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Swaro Z6's..............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looked at a Z6 today for the first time. It was a 2-12x50. I looked at a mount that they had across the store maybe 50-60yds away and focused the scope when it was set at 2x.
The thing that really stunned me was that as I zoomed it to 12x it lost focus and wouldn't refocus. Obviously this was closer than you would need 12x for but I wonder at what range the 12x would be usable. Is there a minimum range of focus for each magnification?
I hope someone that owns one can check this out.

Also I hope Swarovski is listening to this. They need to change the 10yr warrantee on the Z6 to lifetime. I looked at the Z6 today but I bought a Schmidt und Bender 3-12 Zenith..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ
how did the S compare to the s&b optically
i was on the verge of buying theS&B 3-12x50 clasic but backed out as i could not get it in the 2 nd focal plane ...i think it defeats the purpose of a big scope when ones reticle gets larger as the power goes up especially at the longer ranges on small game animals like chamios etc
i still am a bit up in the air with the swarovski Z6 as they still are a unknown quantity, and second they only have a 10 year warranty
i think another poster here on AR bought one , took it out of the box and the ocular eye piece
was loose
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, that's interesting, I have not noticed that with mine, and I have actually shot the rifle witht the scope set at 12x on a 50 yard target. I had LASIK surgery about 8 months ago, so I don't know if that's a factor or not however.

The one thing on the Z-6 is that the reticle is VERY thin. That's nice at the range as it doesn't subtend very much, but I actually am slightly concerned if it might get lost on a game animal.....

The damn thing is incredibly clear, but I was a disappointed in the 10 yr warranty thing too.

I don't have an S&B right now, what's your thoughts on the Zenith? Which reticle did you get?

Take care--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I got a 3-12x50 Zenith with the 7a illuminated reticle. I'm looking forward to comparing it side by side with a Swaro PH when I get back to the house.
The Zenith came with a package deal with a rifle attatched Smiler. Depending on what I do with the attatched rifle it probably will end up being a real good deal on the scope which is why I went ahead and jumped on it. I guess the looked at the Z6 but bought the Zenith was a dig to Swaro to get them to change the warrantee. I sent the above post directly to them, we'll see if I hear back.
I think the Z-6 will end up being better optically than the Zenith though the close-focus thing might be an issue.
That and my Lasiks was done with a near eye and a far eye. My left eye is the one set for distance so I maybe ought to learn to shoot left handed, but I have too many nice right handed rifles to want to change. The fast-focus occulars and side-focus scopes are now almost a necessity for me.
How did they do your Lasiks?................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I guess I went kind of standard mode on my Lasiks, both eyes corrected to give 20/15 to20/20, which is right where I ended up--around 20/18 I guess. I do need reading glasses now if I'm gonna do a bunch of reading, or if the type is really small. That was the trade off, glasses for close in exchange for eyes for far--I like the result.

Don't know if/how that affects looking through optics, but I haven't had the close range issue you metioned, specifically with my Z-6, but not with any of my scopes that I am conscious of.

I like the 7A reticle BTW, I'll be interested in your thoughts on the S&B after you've used it a bit.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've also had lasic surgery and ended up with 20-15 in the left and 20-25 in the right eye.

I had the wave form lasic and for some reason can read all but the smallest print without reading glasses and at age 55 that's a blessing.

I looked at a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 at the Shot Show and it was clear at all zoom ranges with no re-focusing needed and I tried it with both eyes.

I liked it but the price is a bit stiff for a scope with a 10 year warranty so I wouldn't buy it.

I'm pretty happy with my two Zeiss scopes and intend to buy a Schmidt and Bender Zenith next if I can afford it.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote